Can I Get a Broody Goose to Raise Ducklings?

The Dim Side

Songster
Mar 16, 2021
Hello!

My one goose has been adamantly broody, so while fairly young (a little over a year old), we let her sit on a couple eggs. They turned out to be duds, but our one broody hen was sitting on some chicken eggs but not looking very healthy. I was too worried about her, so I broke her broodiness but let my goose sit on those chicken eggs instead. Since she seemed like she was remaining healthy and doing a good job of sitting. But either they were also duds, or the goose just wasn't as good as it as we had thought (we confirmed a few were definitely duds though).

But we just took in two ducklings with a couple deformities the other day. They're about a week or so old (one is a little bigger than the other, two different breeds, a runner duck and Cayuga). But the Cayuga is missing an eye, and the runner--I think its legs are too bent inward, so it makes walking awkward for it, sort of front-heavy, leaning forward. So balancing for it is a little tough.

And I think my goose is starting to get over her broodiness. Even without eggs, she still wants to nest, but she's been wandering around outside more, and I've closed her out of her nesting location. But I was hoping that maybe she could take these ducklings under her wing (figuratively and maybe literally, lol). But both she and my gander just hiss at them when they see them. They've always hated chickens (they were initially supposed to be guard geese for them, but they don't get along), so I don't know if it's just that they hate everything. Or if it's because they're deformed that their instincts make them not want them. Or if the ducks are just new, so the geese are confused and wary. But is there any chance of them wanting to be parents to these ducklings? Or will we have to wait till they get older before they can be around one another?

Thanks!

Wait. If the ducklings had hatched under the goose, she'd likely raise them. She isn't likely to just accept ducklings she didn't hatch. Raise the ducklings separately until they are older and bigger. Ducklings grow very fast and at a week of age won't need supplemental heat.

Okay! I wasn't sure if she might take in ones even if she didn't hatch them. I'll just keep them separate. Thanks!

It depends on the goose’s personality. Some geese and ganders will adopt ducklings, others won’t.
A lot of geese have strong parental instincts and will want to steal the babies and raise them themselves regardless of species, but if she’s hissing at the ducklings it doesn’t sound like a possibility.

Get some liquid B complex for the little Runner actually for both. But the liquid b complex is so good for ducklings that have leg problems which could be from niacin deficiency. It really helps to strengthen the legs and may help the little Runner, TSC carries one it will say injectable but we use if orally. Hopefully, you have these 2 in a brooder? I really don't think the goose will adopt them and as tiny as they are may get trampled by the geese. How did the little Cayuga lose it's eye?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
this will give you dosage for the age of your ducklings.

Get some liquid B complex for the little Runner actually for both. But the liquid b complex is so good for ducklings that have leg problems which could be from niacin deficiency. It really helps to strengthen the legs and may help the little Runner, TSC carries one it will say injectable but we use if orally. Hopefully, you have these 2 in a brooder? I really don't think the goose will adopt them and as tiny as they are may get trampled by the geese. How did the little Cayuga lose it's eye?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
this will give you dosage for the age of your ducklings.
Thank you for the suggestion! We hadn't considered niacin deficiency since it seems like it was from birth, but if it's possible to help strengthen legs, we'll try it! And yes, the two are in a brooder currently, kept inside the house (we had taken them outside for a short time when it was warm out, so the geese met them).

I think the Cayuga's one eye just never actually developed. My boyfriend works at a Rural King (like TSC for those who haven't heard of it), so they sell chicks, ducks, etc., there. And these two were sent to the store in a shipment. So we offered to take them since it seemed unlikely someone else would.

It depends on the goose’s personality. Some geese and ganders will adopt ducklings, others won’t.
A lot of geese have strong parental instincts and will want to steal the babies and raise them themselves regardless of species, but if she’s hissing at the ducklings it doesn’t sound like a possibility.
I didn't know that some try to steal other babies, haha. She really wanted to hatch some eggs, so I felt bad that she didn't have any of her own and thought maybe she might want to adopt since we had taken them in anyway. But hopefully they can all at least get along well enough once they're older!

Thank you for the suggestion! We hadn't considered niacin deficiency since it seems like it was from birth, but if it's possible to help strengthen legs, we'll try it! And yes, the two are in a brooder currently, kept inside the house (we had taken them outside for a short time when it was warm out, so the geese met them).

I think the Cayuga's one eye just never actually developed. My boyfriend works at a Rural King (like TSC for those who haven't heard of it), so they sell chicks, ducks, etc., there. And these two were sent to the store in a shipment. So we offered to take them since it seemed unlikely someone else would.
So sweet of you to take them! If you keep taking them out so the geese can be around them they should integrate fine. My geese don’t have too much to do with the ducks or chickens unless it’s to break up mating lol. But my gander accidentally stepped on a couple days old duckling and killed it. I learned that hard lesson and keep mamas and babies separated from the geese until the ducklings are at least 3 weeks old. My gander was a clutch though never paid any attention to where he was stepping. He was an awesome papa goose to many ducklings though when he was young. This was before I brought home a female goose for him.

So sweet of you to take them! If you keep taking them out so the geese can be around them they should integrate fine. My geese don’t have too much to do with the ducks or chickens unless it’s to break up mating lol. But my gander accidentally stepped on a couple days old duckling and killed it. I learned that hard lesson and keep mamas and babies separated from the geese until the ducklings are at least 3 weeks old. My gander was a clutch though never paid any attention to where he was stepping. He was an awesome papa goose to many ducklings though when he was young. This was before I brought home a female goose for him.
Good to hear that integrating shouldn't be too bad! My geese aren't fond of the chickens either, so I have little hope they'll be great friends with the ducks. But we have a couple different ponds/springs on 6 acres of land, so there's a good amount of space for all four. Though we have wild Canada geese and mallard ducks who hang out at the ponds now, too, lol.

Also, these ducklings have been on medicated chick starter their whole lives, too, so we were worried to switch them off of it. So they definitely need more niacin in them anyway. Is the liquid B complex enough for them, or do you have recommendations on what else we can do for their feed generally? Like brewer's yeast or something? Is there a way to switch them to duck feed without risking problems?

Liquid B Complex is the best for them. Do you have the dose for age? My Geese or should say goose I lost my gander in Feb he was almost 15 yrs old but Missy tolerates the ducks. She’s very bossy so she will herd them. Lol I never had my geese and other birds in the same coop my geese had their own house but when Sam died I moved Missy in with the chickens and Runners and Buffs. She was fine till breeding season kicked in so now she is still in with them but they have the front of the coop she has the back. My Muscovy have their own house since they don’t like Missy the goose. It can be a 3 ring circus around here at times. You can switch them to duck crumble (not layer) pellets would be to big for them now. I’d still offer either the liquid BComplex or nutritional yeast but since you have one with leg problems I’d stick with the liquid BComplex. Can you post a picture or video and show us the little ducklings leg problem?this will give you dose for
the B complex according to age.

Back
Top Bottom