can i give my chicken oranges and mangos

I haven't read this entire thread, but the answer is NO.

There's a treats chart in a sticky at the top of this Feeding and Watering Topic. Waaay down at the bottom of it is a list of no-no's.

I've never seen a reason given, just seen citrus on the bad list.

Thanks
big_smile.png

funny story...

I juiced a TON of oranges the other day. I was left with 3 pitchers of fresh OJ, and 1 large metal bowl of orange pulp... the gooey orange stuff left over on the juicer.

I took the bowl outside and all my hens came-a-running like normal. When I set the bowl down, the all dove in, then dove back out shaking their heads back and forth like, "WHOA... WHAT IS THIS?!" They'd wipe their beaks clean, stand around and gripe angrily that it wasn't pasta, ground beef, or steak, then they'd go in and get another beak full.

I was wondering this question a few months back myself. My chickens seem to like oranges, and peck the peel clean. I also have put orange juice in with their soup of the day if it is close to spoil, and they like it. Who really knows though, tomorrow I can put oranges out and they might run away.

Quote:
Mine live oranges. I cut them in half and lay then in a pan and by the next day everything but the peel is gone. They also love apples, strawberries.

I'm glad there's info about giving those spoiled rotten chickens mangos! My neighbor just gave me some for the chickens and rats. Also, speaking of animals eating weird things: One of my cats likes curry and paprika!

Back
Top Bottom