1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I give my week old babies a tray of dirt to scratch around in?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by akanalynnn, May 10, 2008.

1. akanalynnn

akanalynnn Out Of The Brooder

If I make sure there are no critters or greens in some dirt, can I give my babies (a gold laced polish and a BR :->) a tray of dirt to scratch around in? The BR keeps doing this stretching and insane scratching around dance.... I don't think the paper towels are tickling her fancy.

Thanks

I can't believe how much 2 little babies eat and drink! Sheesh!

These are my first babies [​IMG]

2. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I say yes. I even think that you can take them outside if the temps are high enough. That's what momma would do... right?

I bring my little ones into a little pen and I stay and watch over them. They start out all hyper and after about 1/2 hour they are really mellow [​IMG]

Then I bring them back into their indoor pen and they sleep for a bit.

3. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    I started bringing in a bit of sandy dirt from my driveway at a week old. They LOVED it. Today I pulled up a clump of weeds, dirt and all, and threw that in for them to check out. The carnage from that is strewn about the brooder with reckless abandon! Dead dandilions everywhere...

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They can have some grass and dirt. It helps to build their immune system to be exposed to the earth.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yes you can. [​IMG]

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Is it okay if they eat the dirt? I thought they would just scratch around and peck at it. Had no idea they would devour the whole darn thing in seconds.

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I took a sharp knife out and cut them some turf before they were a week old and they played in it. NO problem.

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    How about play sand? Can I mix that with some dirt and let them have at it? Mine are a week old on Monday.

thanks!

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've always given our chicks in the brooder clumps of sod, larger rocks, sticks, acorns, flowers and even sand to play around with. They'd be doing it outside anyway. [​IMG] Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by