Can I give Safeguard to very young chicks?

AmberH

Songster
14 Years
Apr 21, 2010
Can 2 and 4 week old chicks have safeguard goat dewormer? I noticed my older chickens have roundworms but the babies are in the same pen. I have already put it in their water but now I’m second guessing myself.

I think that @dawg53 worms chicks as young as 6 weeks old, so I would wait until they are at least that age. If chicks eat worm larvae, they should not hatch into worms for a couple of weeks, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

If you do worm, you should dose each bird orally. SafeGuard dosage is 0.25 or 1/4 ml per pound of weight given once and again in 10 days just for roundworms. In case of other worms including capillary and gapeworms, it needs to be given for 5 straight days.

Can 2 and 4 week old chicks have safeguard goat dewormer? I noticed my older chickens have roundworms but the babies are in the same pen. I have already put it in their water but now I’m second guessing myself.
It would be best to worm chicks at 5 weeks old IF they have been raised on soil and/or if they've been seen pecking at feces from the older birds. Then follow up reworming in 10-14 days.

Thank you all. I am using the liquid 10% made for goats. I had googled it and said 3 ml per gallon of water. Guess that wasn’t accurate info.
Yes, the chicks are all in the same pen and on the ground. They are raised by mom. I will take the water out.
Safeguard Fenbendazole liquid goat wormer has to be shaken well. It settles out in the water, so it needs to be given orally instead of putting it in water.

Is there something else I can give them in the water? I have 63 chickens. Lol If not, I will have to suck it up and give it to them all.
I have wormed that many birds. You can divide them into groups and worm a certain number each day. Here is a product that can be added to water for 2 days, but I don’t know how safe it is for baby chicks. @dawg53 how do you like this one:
https://jedds.com/products/wormer-deluxe-powder-jedds

I would put a small amount of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water instead of Safeguard. Why I say a small amount is because it can soften the egg shell.

Thank you all. I am using the liquid 10% made for goats. I had googled it and said 3 ml per gallon of water. Guess that wasn’t accurate info.
Yes, the chicks are all in the same pen and on the ground. They are raised by mom. I will take the water out.

Back
Top Bottom