Are these worms in poop?

Nanadd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2022
I have a small flock of 5 2 yr old birds. I’m not sure which one this came from and they all are acting normal…..so far. These were found on the poop board. Any advice to what they are and if bad how to treat? I have safeguard here so if that’s a possibility I can use that. I did a round of dewormer from Nov 4 thru Nov 8 which is why I’m now worrie.

Attachments

• 18F4DE94-63A3-4236-B615-35BB578CDEA5.jpeg
    18F4DE94-63A3-4236-B615-35BB578CDEA5.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 25F5F128-4160-4DB7-B18F-04DBA65AA18B.jpeg
    25F5F128-4160-4DB7-B18F-04DBA65AA18B.jpeg
    580.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 12701B8B-55C2-4E70-B111-AA79029E2770.jpeg
    12701B8B-55C2-4E70-B111-AA79029E2770.jpeg
    726.8 KB · Views: 16
Looks like intestinal shedding to me, which happens occasionally. Those poop pics don't look great, but if everything goes back to normal tomorrow I wouldn't worry. If you keep seeing messy poops and bloody stringy stuff then I'd be concerned someone has a major GI problem from infection or coccidiosis or maybe eating something toxic.

Looks like intestinal shedding to me, which happens occasionally. Those poop pics don't look great, but if everything goes back to normal tomorrow I wouldn't worry. If you keep seeing messy poops and bloody stringy stuff then I'd be concerned someone has a major GI problem from infection or coccidiosis or maybe eating something toxic.
Thank you. I’m keeping an eye on them. There wasn’t any like that today but there was a few runny poops. Again everyone is acting normal. All eating and drinking and alert. I worry that if it is coccidiosis there would be more bloody stools correct? I have decided to stop giving them any scraps for the next few days and see if that helps any.

I worry that if it is coccidiosis there would be more bloody stools correct?
Yes. It would be unusual for an adult bird to need treatment for coccidiosis as they are vaccinated or develop immunity to it when young, but sometimes a new strain will get introduced to their environment (like if you add another bird to your flock) and the new strain can make them sick. I would only treat for coccidiosis if I saw poop like that over the course of a few days, and even then there would be a good chance it's some other problem.

Sounds like your chickens are doing ok... birds will have weird poops every now and again. My personal rule is to only start worrying if the poop change is consistent or if there is bad poop with another sign of sickness.

Yes. It would be unusual for an adult bird to need treatment for coccidiosis as they are vaccinated or develop immunity to it when young, but sometimes a new strain will get introduced to their environment (like if you add another bird to your flock) and the new strain can make them sick. I would only treat for coccidiosis if I saw poop like that over the course of a few days, and even then there would be a good chance it's some other problem.

Sounds like your chickens are doing ok... birds will have weird poops every now and again. My personal rule is to only start worrying if the poop change is consistent or if there is bad poop with another sign of sickness.
I think that’s a good idea. I am hesitant to treat unless I‘m really sure I should. There haven’t been any new birds added. Those 5 have been together since they were chicks. They’re all very active and acting normal and I haven’t seen that much since I posted the picture. Just a little piece yesterday. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. Thank you very much! Have a Merry Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom