Can I give these herbs to my chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by huntersmoon, Mar 10, 2009.

1. huntersmoon

huntersmoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    I have two baggies of leftover herbal tea (custom blend) - they have:

lemon balm
    skullcap
    lavender
    rose hips
    nettle
    raspberry
    oatsraw
    fennel

I know the nettle and oatstraw are good for them, and assume the rose hips are okay. Does anyone know if the remaining ingredients are harmful?

Thanks
    Shannon

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Shannon, I like raspberry leaf tea. Rose hips are real nice. Nettle is okay but it tastes rather veggie-like - I like it as a vegetable. Fennel seed is tasty in various foods but the leaves are not a tea favorite. That's really true of lemon balm - not a favorite, tastes like Lemon Pledge smells!

Lavender is wonderful as a fragrance. Oat straw - well, I've fed that to livestock.

You can check on skullcap (and all the rest of them [​IMG]) here: Alternative Medicine - University of Michigan

Steve

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I am unsure about the other herbs you mentioned, but I purposefully leave all the hips on my rose bushes (organic - no spray whatsoever) in the summer/fall for the wild birds in my yard and by Spring they are all gone. They seem to like them a lot!

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Bear in mind that some herbs, when given to chickens, will make the eggs taste like the herbs. This may or may not be what you want.

[​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Yeah, keep that Lemon Pledge . . . I mean Lemon Balm . . . away from them!

Actually, they have better sense than to eat it in my yard [​IMG].

Steve [​IMG]

6. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    my chickens leave the lemon balm alone though i use it in soup when I want to cheat and not harvest my lemon grass. I seep it in there and take it out after about 20 minutes.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Lemon balm is a good anti-viral and I do use it for that. For tea, potpourri and just a wonderful sniff in the garden, you can't beat lemon verbena. Ahhh, heavenly...

8. huntersmoon

huntersmoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    Thanks for all of the replies and for the resource link! The herbs were all chopped finely, so I could steep them, so I just dumped the contents in there and they picked what they wanted.

Thanks
    Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by