lemon balm
skullcap
lavender
rose hips
nettle
raspberry
oatsraw
fennel

I know the nettle and oatstraw are good for them, and assume the rose hips are okay. Does anyone know if the remaining ingredients are harmful?

Thanks
Shannon

digitS'

Crowing
13 Years
Dec 12, 2007
ID/WA border
Shannon, I like raspberry leaf tea. Rose hips are real nice. Nettle is okay but it tastes rather veggie-like - I like it as a vegetable. Fennel seed is tasty in various foods but the leaves are not a tea favorite. That's really true of lemon balm - not a favorite, tastes like Lemon Pledge smells!

Lavender is wonderful as a fragrance. Oat straw - well, I've fed that to livestock.

You can check on skullcap (and all the rest of them
wink.png
) here: Alternative Medicine - University of Michigan

Steve

CityChook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
My Coop
I am unsure about the other herbs you mentioned, but I purposefully leave all the hips on my rose bushes (organic - no spray whatsoever) in the summer/fall for the wild birds in my yard and by Spring they are all gone. They seem to like them a lot!

digitS'

Crowing
13 Years
Dec 12, 2007
ID/WA border
Yeah, keep that Lemon Pledge . . . I mean Lemon Balm . . . away from them!

Actually, they have better sense than to eat it in my yard
wink.png

Steve
tongue.png

cyrixlord

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Monroe, wa
my chickens leave the lemon balm alone though i use it in soup when I want to cheat and not harvest my lemon grass. I seep it in there and take it out after about 20 minutes.

WoodlandWoman

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Lemon balm is a good anti-viral and I do use it for that. For tea, potpourri and just a wonderful sniff in the garden, you can't beat lemon verbena. Ahhh, heavenly...

huntersmoon

Songster
12 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Thanks for all of the replies and for the resource link! The herbs were all chopped finely, so I could steep them, so I just dumped the contents in there and they picked what they wanted.

Thanks
Shannon

Top Bottom