Can I Handle My Chicks?

UlmerChickens

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2015
I just got some day old chicks yesterday,
and I was wondering if it was okay to handle them and/or pick them up.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Yes, you can handle them. Chicken chicks are pretty hardy little things compared to baby songbirds and such, and tolerate handling pretty well. Just make sure that you're close to the ground when you're holding them, since some of them like to jump. If you have kids, make sure they know not to squeeze them.

Have fun! :)

Yes, you can handle them. Chicken chicks are pretty hardy little things compared to baby songbirds and such, and tolerate handling pretty well. Just make sure that you're close to the ground when you're holding them, since some of them like to jump. If you have kids, make sure they know not to squeeze them.

Have fun! :)
Thanks!
That helped so much!

I've handled mine since day one and now at almost three weeks they will walk onto my hand if I stick it in the brooder.

When I was raising my first chicks, I made the mistake of picking up the chicks by chasing them around the brooder. The chickens as adults still became tame after all of their handling, even coming when called, but not as friendly as they could have been. With a duo of chicks that I raised for an old lady, I decided to go at a different approach when handling the babies. I just left my hand in the brooder for a while, until they began to investigate it. Then, I put some mealworms on my hand, and let them peck at them. Only then would I gently put my hand by their legs and let them step up on my hand. They became VERY friendly, enough to go outside and follow me around after only two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom