Can i hang some tansy in the coop?

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Heard that if I hang some tansy in the coop, it'll help me with mites/lices. I also heard that its poisonous. Would chickens eat it (and get poisoned) if part of it fell on the ground? Or they'd try and spit it out? What do you think?

I wouldn't. If necessary it's best to just treat birds, and coop with a permethrin or pyrethin based poultry dust or spray.
Would chickens eat it? I don't really have acces to any "proffesional" things for mites and lices. In my country it's hard to get poultry remedies etc(usually there are ones but for big farms, not suitable for small flocks), and usually people here paint walls with lime, use insect sprays or diamaceous earth and tansy/wormwood.

Well I'm not too familiar with tansy except for growing it a time or two. I don't know if they would peck at it or not. Free range birds would be less likely to I think. Confined birds that have no access to other greens or plants may. Usually toxic stuff tastes terrible, and that's usually enough of a deterrent, but you never know.

Well I'm not too familiar with tansy except for growing it a time or two. I don't know if they would peck at it or not. Free range birds would be less likely to I think. Confined birds that have no access to other greens or plants may. Usually toxic stuff tastes terrible, and that's usually enough of a deterrent, but you never know.
I tested it (yeah it was stupid). They don't want to eat it. They spit it out and ignore the rest

Heard that if I hang some tansy in the coop, it'll help me with mites/lices. I also heard that its poisonous. Would chickens eat it (and get poisoned) if part of it fell on the ground? Or they'd try and spit it out? What do you think?
I recommend something else like neem oil or peppermint oil.. not full strength.. but there are lot's of folks who use essential oil mixes that do help combat lice and mites. I expect Tansy to have little to no effect the way you intend to use it.. But good for you for looking at ways to stop the parasites from bugging your birds!

Tansy ragwort.. grows great in my back yard and none of the animals consume it, not even the goats. The term poisonous is misleading and it takes large quantities over a period of time for tansy to build up in the system.

According to my local agriculture guy, it is considered an invasive species in my location.. punishable by fine if allowed to grow without abatement attempts.. but causes most issue when growing in field that are being hayed for cattle. Said they avoid it growing in the field, but may not be able to do so mixed inside hay.

Things reported to deter mosquitoes like mint plants etc.. I've watched them land on right in front of me.. maybe when fresh mowed they work better as deterrents.

If you have an garden dust containing sulfur.. it's VERY effective against lice and mites.

I wonder if there's a Poland section in the where am I where are you section here on BYC? Do you guys have access to Amazon delivery stuff?

One of my local friends who is an Organic nut.. bathes her birds in water with some dish soap and vinegar mixed in.. surprisingly effective.. I don't know the exact ratios.

Certain cattle wormers are also effective, but may require withdrawal time for eating eggs. (Ivermectin). The permethrin that many of us in the US have used very effectively is sold as a horse fly spray in the equine section at feed stores.. Some folks have also successfully used dog and cat flea treatments.. So it might be a matter of using something OFF label if your efforts aren't successful.

Best wishes and keep up the good fight! :fl

I recommend something else like neem oil or peppermint oil.. not full strength.. but there are lot's of folks who use essential oil mixes that do help combat lice and mites. I expect Tansy to have little to no effect the way you intend to use it.. But good for you for looking at ways to stop the parasites from bugging your birds!

Tansy ragwort.. grows great in my back yard and none of the animals consume it, not even the goats. The term poisonous is misleading and it takes large quantities over a period of time for tansy to build up in the system.

According to my local agriculture guy, it is considered an invasive species in my location.. punishable by fine if allowed to grow without abatement attempts.. but causes most issue when growing in field that are being hayed for cattle. Said they avoid it growing in the field, but may not be able to do so mixed inside hay.

Things reported to deter mosquitoes like mint plants etc.. I've watched them land on right in front of me.. maybe when fresh mowed they work better as deterrents.

If you have an garden dust containing sulfur.. it's VERY effective against lice and mites.

I wonder if there's a Poland section in the where am I where are you section here on BYC? Do you guys have access to Amazon delivery stuff?

One of my local friends who is an Organic nut.. bathes her birds in water with some dish soap and vinegar mixed in.. surprisingly effective.. I don't know the exact ratios.

Certain cattle wormers are also effective, but may require withdrawal time for eating eggs. (Ivermectin). The permethrin that many of us in the US have used very effectively is sold as a horse fly spray in the equine section at feed stores.. Some folks have also successfully used dog and cat flea treatments.. So it might be a matter of using something OFF label if your efforts aren't successful.

Best wishes and keep up the good fight! :fl
Well that question about polish section was a good one. Couldn't find any. Some things from Amazon are accesable here but not all of them. Not gonna give up :jumpy
Btw I was talking about normal tansy ( Tanacetum vulgare ), not tansy ragwort( Jacobaea vulgaris ). Don't know a lot about your one :p

Back
Top Bottom