Can I Hatch Young Pullet Eggs???

Cr8zy4Chicks

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
Central Florida
I have a Black Copper Maran Pullet who has just started laying about 3 weeks ago. I have a hen that just went broody and I wanna know am I ok to give her the BCM eggs to hatch. I know the BCM pullet has been mounted so I know the eggs are fertile. Shes maybe 26 weeks old give or take

Sure you can, but it won't be ideal. Just because she has been mounted doesn't guarantee the eggs will be fertile. And if the eggs are typically tiny, the chicks will be tiny and more prone to health issues, if they hatch. But you can get viable chicks from pullets. Just think of them like low-birth-weight babies and understand that it comes with the same kind of risks.

I do. I often do not get as good a hatch rate as I do with eggs from pullets or hens that have been laying longer. There are different reasons for that, but I often have several that hatch and sometimes get a great hatch rate. When a chick hatches from any egg I seldom lose one, but when I do lose one it is often from a small pullet egg. But I still seldom lose one that hatches.

I agree it is not ideal but don't let the pursuit of perfection prevent good enough.

I do. I often do not get as good a hatch rate as I do with eggs from pullets or hens that have been laying longer. There are different reasons for that, but I often have several that hatch and sometimes get a great hatch rate. When a chick hatches from any egg I seldom lose one, but when I do lose one it is often from a small pullet egg. But I still seldom lose one that hatches.

I agree it is not ideal but don't let the pursuit of perfection prevent good enough.
That said what I was going to say but in much better form. I hatch out the pullet eggs right away, yes it leads to a few problems but after they hatch they seem to do fine. I prefer to hatch the first eggs so I have back up birds for when that breeding pen gets attacked by dogs. Maybe one day Raccoons will figure out my sliding screen doors and take out a breeding pen. The sooner I have back up birds in my system the sooner I have a peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom