Can I have a 3 week old chick in with my 4 day old chicks?

tiffanyluvshens

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
I bought a 3 week old pullet a few days ago and I just unexpectedly purchased 6 4 day old chicks today. Can I broad them together? I just put them all together and it's been an hour. So far our older girl doesn't seem to mind the wee ones. We have them in a rabbit hutch with a heat lamp in our living room.

I bought a 3 week old pullet a few days ago and I just unexpectedly purchased 6 4 day old chicks today. Can I broad them together? I just put them all together and it's been an hour. So far our older girl doesn't seem to mind the wee ones. We have them in a rabbit hutch with a heat lamp in our living room.
Hi tiffany and
welcome-byc.gif

Watch them very carefully. Usually the greatest age difference is 2 weeks when combining chicks. It may work out. If not, house the older one separately with a couple of stuffed toys for company. Then put them back together when the young chicks are 3-4 weeks old. By then the age difference should not be a problem.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi tiffany and
welcome-byc.gif

Watch them very carefully. Usually the greatest age difference is 2 weeks when combining chicks. It may work out. If not, house the older one separately with a couple of stuffed toys for company. Then put them back together when the young chicks are 3-4 weeks old. By then the age difference should not be a problem.
Best,
Karen
^^^ This. Three weeks is kind of already to late to integrate new chicks, but go ahead and put them together. Make sure you keep a careful eye on them. If your older ones don't seem to mind and the younger chicks have already been in there for an hour, I don't think you should have any problem. Keep an eye out though! Good luck!

If I put a heat lamp outside in the enclosed part of our coop can I house the 3 week old outside? She really likes to be out of the broader walking around our living room but I'm tired of cleaning up chicken poo

If I put a heat lamp outside in the enclosed part of our coop can I house the 3 week old outside? She really likes to be out of the broader walking around our living room but I'm tired of cleaning up chicken poo
That's definitely understandable. No one likes chicken poop in the living room! I think as long as you have the heat lamp over them, they should be fine. How cold does it get where you live?

Last edited:

That's definitely understandable. No one likes chicken poop in the living room! I usually transfer my chicks to the coop when they're four to five weeks old. I would give your chicks a week or two before putting them out in the coop. How cold does it get where you live?

It's in the 50's at night here right now. The closed part of our coop is completely inclosed.

Back
Top Bottom