Can I have hens in Leeds, AL?

StefSierke

In the Brooder
May 14, 2021
Hello!

My husband Jesse and I just bought a new house in Leeds, AL. It’s cozy, but with a HUGE back yard. We have been interested in having a few hens for eggs. I am trying to find out if Leeds allows this, but I’m having some difficulty. Would anyone here know the answer to this?
I am also a beekeeper and gardener! We are really looking forward to having some fresh eggs, honey, fruits, and vegetables next year! 🥚🐔🐝🍯🍓🥬🥒🥕🫑🥑🍍🍎
Thank you for any advice or answers!
-Stef Sierke

Leeds should have a website citing all the particulars concerning livestock and such. And yes, chickens are considered livestock. If not, check the county website that Leeds is in.
I looked on their ordinances page. The only thing that it said regarding livestock is that they can’t run around unattended. I’ll keep looking. Thank you!

Their page made me dizzy trying to understand it lol. I didn’t find anywhere that’s says you specifically can’t. But I didn’t find anywhere that said you can either. Unless you are in the Agriculture district. Your specific laws depend on where district you are in. All do seem to allow gardening though. And don’t forget to check if you are in an HOA and if so what their rules are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom