Can I have my dogs and chickens too?

Kataloo

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
Utah
I want to be able to go outside this summer and enjoy my entire animal family, the dogs and chickens. I have a miniature poodle who is new to our pack. She is a great dog. I also have an incredible Australian Shepherd (best dog EVER). I will never let the dogs and chickens be unsupervised, but I want to train the dogs to leave the chickens alone. The poodle will be no problem once they are grown. They will be as tall as her and I strongly suspect she would be afraid of them or just ignore them. The Aussie is a different story. She will try to herd them and I am afraid they would get hurt. I am willing to put in the time to train her (but still supervise any interaction with the chickens). Any tips on training dogs to leave chickens alone?

Last edited:
Almost every dog will have a predator/prey instinct when the chickens start to run. Recalling the dog once it starts to chase/kill chickens may be impossible. Even my Pomeranian loves to chase chickens. Neighbors' dogs have killed/harassed many.

I have never had any trouble teaching my dogs that chickens are off limits. No has always meant no, and that has never been in question. I leave my German Shepard un attended with my birds every day. He just knows.
Now if we are rounding some up, he wants to help. He wants to be part of it. Your Aussie will probably be like that. it is good for them to be part of the process, if you have control.

I have a sister and a brother that each bring a dog over, and their dogs picked up on no pretty quick. They watch the birds from a distance. I can trust one of them with them. The other, I am not so sure.

If you have that kind of control, it can be done. Just work it out one dog at a time. You might lose some control with two at the same time. Have them on the leash while you work it out.

Just look at it as you have to do it, and you will.

Good luck.

I don't trust others dogs but my own trained quickly without incident. Dogs and chickens do well. Mine is a rot lab mix of a mutt but very protective over his "babies", he has helped raise all my birds from egg; it helps that my pup loves to be given a job, it makes him feel good especially when he's praised. Be mindful and diligent and your pup may surprise you. Best to you and your pup.

Back
Top Bottom