Can I help my depressed hen?

Pics
I don't know what happened, but she got injured while we were out of the house. When we came home, one of the other hens had gotten out and the faverolle was laying on her side on the ground. I didn't notice it until I realized she wasn't in her corner.

She was still alive somehow and I picked her up and put her back in the coop. I tried putting her in the nesting box that she usually retreats to, but she was opposed to it. She can't walk anymore, I think she has a leg injury that wasn't there during the first incident. The feathers were gone on her right leg and there was a large spot of dried blood. There was also dried blood on her comb.

I just know she's gonna be dead in the morning... And part of me hopes she is. She's been in so much pain this past month and I don't want her to suffer any longer.
I wish I could do more to help but I cant

I'm so sorry she's not doing well.
It's sad when they are in pain. Do you have relative, friend or neighbor that can put her out her misery for you if you can't do it yourself?

It's 1am and everyone's asleep. I can't do anything right now..

I'm sorry :hugs
Hopefully she will be gone in the morning, but if not, then ask someone to help you kindly put her out her misery.
I know it can be hard to think about, but it's something you need to learn to do yourself.
Unfortunately, she didn't pass in the night and she's even worse today. She can hardly move at all and is just growing skinnier. None of us have the heart to put her down, so we separated her from the flock. She's in a makeshift cushion and blanket nest in the garage right now, so she's at least comfortable and not cold. I made sure she was laying upright and she won't stop looking down.

Back
Top Bottom