Can I help my depressed hen?

Update:
Got home from work and checked her crop while they were roosting aaaaand...

It was full! It was probably because we let them out of their run today and she could find more bugs and stuff without the welsummer bothering her. I'd like to thank everyone again for their responses and suggestions! When I get the chance, I'll do a quick check for any canker she might have and definitely put the welsummer in the time out crate for a bit.

I actually separated the welsum earlier today and not even 10 minutes after being locked in, she threw a tantrum and started cackling REALLY LOUDLY. Despite being a bit of a bully, she's also really timid and hates being picked up, much less locked up.

If there's anything anyone else wants to add, I'll be happy to read responses.

Haven't been able to check yet, but I want to see whats up with this. I let them out once I got home, and she pooped on the ground. It was bubbly when it came out, though, and looks like this now. I take it this is bad?View attachment 1941325

Update:
Got home from work and checked her crop while they were roosting aaaaand...

It was full! It was probably because we let them out of their run today and she could find more bugs and stuff without the welsummer bothering her. I'd like to thank everyone again for their responses and suggestions! When I get the chance, I'll do a quick check for any canker she might have and definitely put the welsummer in the time out crate for a bit.

I actually separated the welsum earlier today and not even 10 minutes after being locked in, she threw a tantrum and started cackling REALLY LOUDLY. Despite being a bit of a bully, she's also really timid and hates being picked up, much less locked up.

If there's anything anyone else wants to add, I'll be happy to read responses.
The green poop was most likely because she has not been eating well for a few days. I would just keep an eye on her poop for a couple of days - sounds like she's eating more now (full crop!) so hopefully that will clear up.

I hope she continues to improve. Keep us posted!

With a bit of help, I was able to hold her and check her mouth. Of course, she complained, even before we could grab her.
But, her mouth looks healthy and clear, and shes continuing to eat and drink like normal. Though, she still walks a lot slower than the others.

I don't know what happened, but she got injured while we were out of the house. When we came home, one of the other hens had gotten out and the faverolle was laying on her side on the ground. I didn't notice it until I realized she wasn't in her corner.

She was still alive somehow and I picked her up and put her back in the coop. I tried putting her in the nesting box that she usually retreats to, but she was opposed to it. She can't walk anymore, I think she has a leg injury that wasn't there during the first incident. The feathers were gone on her right leg and there was a large spot of dried blood. There was also dried blood on her comb.

I just know she's gonna be dead in the morning... And part of me hopes she is. She's been in so much pain this past month and I don't want her to suffer any longer.
I wish I could do more to help but I cant

I don't know what happened, but she got injured while we were out of the house. When we came home, one of the other hens had gotten out and the faverolle was laying on her side on the ground. I didn't notice it until I realized she wasn't in her corner.

She was still alive somehow and I picked her up and put her back in the coop. I tried putting her in the nesting box that she usually retreats to, but she was opposed to it. She can't walk anymore, I think she has a leg injury that wasn't there during the first incident. The feathers were gone on her right leg and there was a large spot of dried blood. There was also dried blood on her comb.

I just know she's gonna be dead in the morning... And part of me hopes she is. She's been in so much pain this past month and I don't want her to suffer any longer.
I wish I could do more to help but I cant
I'm so sorry she's not doing well.
It's sad when they are in pain. Do you have relative, friend or neighbor that can put her out her misery for you if you can't do it yourself?

I'm so sorry she's not doing well.
It's sad when they are in pain. Do you have relative, friend or neighbor that can put her out her misery for you if you can't do it yourself?

It's 1am and everyone's asleep. I can't do anything right now..

I'm sorry :hugs
Hopefully she will be gone in the morning, but if not, then ask someone to help you kindly put her out her misery.
I know it can be hard to think about, but it's something you need to learn to do yourself.
Unfortunately, she didn't pass in the night and she's even worse today. She can hardly move at all and is just growing skinnier. None of us have the heart to put her down, so we separated her from the flock. She's in a makeshift cushion and blanket nest in the garage right now, so she's at least comfortable and not cold. I made sure she was laying upright and she won't stop looking down.

Unfortunately, she didn't pass in the night and she's even worse today. She can hardly move at all and is just growing skinnier. None of us have the heart to put her down, so we separated her from the flock. She's in a makeshift cushion and blanket nest in the garage right now, so she's at least comfortable and not cold. I made sure she was laying upright and she won't stop looking down.
I know it's hard, but it's not fair to her to let her linger and be in pain. Sometimes we have to just make that call and go ahead and do what is right for the animal even if it hurts us.

Back
Top Bottom