Can I help my depressed hen?

Another thing I should add:
Yesterday, before work, I checked her over. When I lifted up her wing, one of the welsummers came up and pretty much attacked her. She didn't draw any blood, but she chased her around the run before I could split them up and guard the faverolle. I saw another post that suggested chickens can be bullied away from food, so could this be something wrong too?

This morning, I put out some food in a corner of their coop. A place that they'd be able to see easily and that wasn't near their actual feeder.

Another thing I should add:
Yesterday, before work, I checked her over. When I lifted up her wing, one of the welsummers came up and pretty much attacked her. She didn't draw any blood, but she chased her around the run before I could split them up and guard the faverolle. I saw another post that suggested chickens can be bullied away from food, so could this be something wrong too?

This morning, I put out some food in a corner of their coop. A place that they'd be able to see easily and that wasn't near their actual feeder.

Yes, more feed stations are better. Also, SF tend to be docile and can be the subject of bullying. Now that there is only one, it could make her stand out even more. I also have SF and they are super chilled out, calm, docile birds. The Welsummer is likely much higher in pecking order, and was being dominant.

How old are your chickens? How many? Any other SF?

If bullying continues, you could take away the bully (cage in garage or similar) for several days so she becomes new and it upsets pecking order.

Glad to hear the SF seems to be improving.

With her bestie gone the other hens may be forcing her off the high roast at night and bullying her. When I got rid of my rooster the hen that always slept next to him was being forced off roast and ended up in the nesting box at night. I witnessed the bullying: They would peck her feet until she jumped off :( I put up 2 separators that eliminated the night issue. I always keep two separate drinking areas and feeding areas to help ensure all four of my girls get a chance to eat. My two older girls are bad to hog feed and chase away my two younger hens. Hope your hen feels better soon. The pecking order in hen raising can be heartbreaking :hit

Yes, more feed stations are better. Also, SF tend to be docile and can be the subject of bullying. Now that there is only one, it could make her stand out even more. I also have SF and they are super chilled out, calm, docile birds. The Welsummer is likely much higher in pecking order, and was being dominant.

How old are your chickens? How many? Any other SF?

If bullying continues, you could take away the bully (cage in garage or similar) for several days so she becomes new and it upsets pecking order.

Glad to hear the SF seems to be improving.
They're all around 2 1/2 years and have all stopped laying. The welsummer is one of the bigger hens in the flock so it could have something to do with that. Before the other faverolle died, we had 2 (plus 3 welsums and a white plymouth rock) There were six in total for a majority of their life, and now there's five.

Got home from school so another update:
She's a bit more vocal today than she has been the past few days. She's drinking more too, but she's also been almost running away from the welsummer that picks on her. I poured some food on the ground in their run, hoping that it would be a wide enough area for there not to be too many chickens for her to fight with. She went over to the food fine, but when she lowered her head to peck at it, it looks like she's always stopping mid-peck. Like, she'll open her beak to get it, but stop before she picks anything up. She has eaten a few crumbs and decided to drop a poop on whatever was behind her.

She's still hanging away from the flock, though. Instead of separating her, should I separate the bully for a bit?

Got home from school so another update:
She's a bit more vocal today than she has been the past few days. She's drinking more too, but she's also been almost running away from the welsummer that picks on her. I poured some food on the ground in their run, hoping that it would be a wide enough area for there not to be too many chickens for her to fight with. She went over to the food fine, but when she lowered her head to peck at it, it looks like she's always stopping mid-peck. Like, she'll open her beak to get it, but stop before she picks anything up. She has eaten a few crumbs and decided to drop a poop on whatever was behind her.

She's still hanging away from the flock, though. Instead of separating her, should I separate the bully for a bit?
Can you look inside her beak to make sure there's no yellow cheesy plaques or canker?

How much space do you have in your coop/run?

Can you look inside her beak to make sure there's no yellow cheesy plaques or canker?

How much space do you have in your coop/run?
Since she's moving a lot more now, it'll probably be hard to keep her still and not freak her out too much to check. Where would the plaques/canker be in her mouth (like roof of mouth, back, side, etc.)

The coop and run are pretty large. I don't know the exact dimensions since my parents built it (though tomorrow morning, I can try to get an estimate of how big it is)

Since she's moving a lot more now, it'll probably be hard to keep her still and not freak her out too much to check. Where would the plaques/canker be in her mouth (like roof of mouth, back, side, etc.)

The coop and run are pretty large. I don't know the exact dimensions since my parents built it (though tomorrow morning, I can try to get an estimate of how big it is)
Yes, you would look at the roof of the mouth, back, side.
What I do when I want to check out a hen and not stress them too much is go out early while they are still roosting (right before everyone gets up). Grab them off the roost, inspect them, maybe give them a little treat, then pop them in the run - they can greet the others as they come out of the coop:)

This is what the inside of a healthy beak should look like:

Photo Credit BYC Nambroth

Yes, you would look at the roof of the mouth, back, side.
What I do when I want to check out a hen and not stress them too much is go out early while they are still roosting (right before everyone gets up). Grab them off the roost, inspect them, maybe give them a little treat, then pop them in the run - they can greet the others as they come out of the coop:)

This is what the inside of a healthy beak should look like:

Photo Credit BYC Nambroth

Thank you! I'll see if I can check in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom