Can i house new goslings and new chicks after a few weeks with 2-3 month old chick?

Rural Chic

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
Fernley, Nevada
I have 6 little chicks ranging from 2-3 months old and have 4 new chicks arriving this week along with 2 goslings. Once they get a bit older can I house them all together?

Thank you. I have had so many people around me telling me it's OK they are all birds. I felt this was wrong but couldn't get a definite answer for why. This helps!

Once they are older how do I introduce the new chicks with the older ones???
Oh and I have moved the goslings to their own tote for the time being and one of them gets really upset walk away... I haven't figured out yet if they are male or female or one of each but they sure are cute.
This weekend my son and I will paint the inside of the shed converted coop and all the babies will be moved to the garage with their heat lamps.
Thanks for the advise on keeping them separate.

Once they are older how do I introduce the new chicks with the older ones???
Oh and I have moved the goslings to their own tote for the time being and one of them gets really upset walk away... I haven't figured out yet if they are male or female or one of each but they sure are cute.
This weekend my son and I will paint the inside of the shed converted coop and all the babies will be moved to the garage with their heat lamps.
Thanks for the advise on keeping them separate.
Best way is with temp, fencing of some kind so they can all see each other but no one gets pecked on. usually around a week of this and you can try putting them together with supervision. Don't forget pics.
smile.png

Best way is with temp, fencing of some kind so they can all see each other but no one gets pecked on. usually around a week of this and you can try putting them together with supervision. Don't forget pics.
smile.png
Well we had a great time, my son and I, painting the old shed and converting it to a chicken coop. Now it looks like a little barn. I just love it. The inside is a pale sky blue, a nice calming color... I don't know if that works with chickens and rabbits or not but it does for me and I guess that would be enough. Here are some pics, the rabbits and chic are in the garage till either this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon when the paint is completely dry and the fumes are gone
The first one shows the original color of the shed, it matches my house. The other tree show the side, front and front with a view of the inside with the sky blue door.

This has been THE MOST fun I have had in a long time. I can't wait for the weather to clear up some so we can work on more of what we have planned (Chicken run, Rabbit play yard, Goose enclosure with nesting box and pond.)

Well we had a great time, my son and I, painting the old shed and converting it to a chicken coop. Now it looks like a little barn. I just love it. The inside is a pale sky blue, a nice calming color... I don't know if that works with chickens and rabbits or not but it does for me and I guess that would be enough. Here are some pics, the rabbits and chic are in the garage till either this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon when the paint is completely dry and the fumes are gone
The first one shows the original color of the shed, it matches my house. The other tree show the side, front and front with a view of the inside with the sky blue door.

This has been THE MOST fun I have had in a long time. I can't wait for the weather to clear up some so we can work on more of what we have planned (Chicken run, Rabbit play yard, Goose enclosure with nesting box and pond.)
It looks great, love the colors.

x2 what Lydia said. Temp fencing in the run to let everyone (chicks new and old) see each other and still be kept separate for initial introductions. The picture below is a set up another BYC'r uses for chicken time outs, broody hens and introducing new birds to a flock so everyone sleeps in the same place.

x2 what Lydia said. Temp fencing in the run to let everyone (chicks new and old) see each other and still be kept separate for initial introductions. The picture below is a set up another BYC'r uses for chicken time outs, broody hens and introducing new birds to a flock so everyone sleeps in the same place.

I love this, I'll see what I can do in my space. All the babies are back in their house, not in the garage anymore. They like it better in their coop, it stays warmer without the large door opening and closing (and sucking all the heat out). They were mildly confused when they went back in since it's brighter (more light) and the walls are lighter too but all in all they are happy.

#1 View from door way, Rabbits on left, Goslings at left rear, Baby chicks in Red Tote at right rear and rest is for older chicks.
#2 Goldie and Lucky Lucy
#3 Prophetess in front Goldie just behind and Lucky Lucy in the back

They will be much happier when I get the outside run built and they can run around out there on good days. Soon Babies, Soon!

I love this, I'll see what I can do in my space. All the babies are back in their house, not in the garage anymore. They like it better in their coop, it stays warmer without the large door opening and closing (and sucking all the heat out). They were mildly confused when they went back in since it's brighter (more light) and the walls are lighter too but all in all they are happy.

#1 View from door way, Rabbits on left, Goslings at left rear, Baby chicks in Red Tote at right rear and rest is for older chicks.
#2 Goldie and Lucky Lucy
#3 Prophetess in front Goldie just behind and Lucky Lucy in the back

They will be much happier when I get the outside run built and they can run around out there on good days. Soon Babies, Soon!
Nice setup.

Back
Top Bottom