Can I hug my chickens?

Pics

TheDocter21

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2018
I was reading that the CDC said not to hug your chickens because they can carry salmonella, but I keep finding videos of people hugging and kissing their chickens. Is it a major deal to hug your chickens?
P.S.- I have 2 silkies and they are super fluffy, I can’t resist hugging them. I know I bathe my silkies and fluff them up every month or so. Does bathing them get rid of some diseases?

Well you can hug your silkies. That won’t cause diseases to spread. Make sure you wash your hands after dealing with chickens. But NEVER kiss a chicken. That will DEFINITELY spread diseases. Giving chickens baths is unnessasary. Germs will still be on the chicken. Also giving chickens bathes obviously gets them wet which causes them to chill. Chilling can make the chickens sick.
I was reading that the CDC said not to hug your chickens because they can carry salmonella, but I keep finding videos of people hugging and kissing their chickens. Is it a major deal to hug your chickens?
P.S.- I have 2 silkies and they are super fluffy, I can’t resist hugging them. I know I bathe my silkies and fluff them up every month or so. Does bathing them get rid of some diseases?
Hope this solved your problem. :)

I only bathe by Silkies if they get a poo bumm or something. :confused:

And I do what I wanna do... hugging or whatever. :hugs It might not be wise if your immune system is weakened by anything.

I think bathing strips natural oils from the feathers... Dirt baths are awesome sauce though!

I do find videos of people wrecking their cars and other stupid stuff.. doesn't make we wanna go do it! :old

But huggin' a Silkie? :love

I do have a few pet girls... same reason you hug and kiss a dog! :sick

0726CA8F-FC2F-4C10-921B-28A5DA5EBD52.jpeg
My chickens will follow me everywhere but the only one that likes getting touched it’s my big Brahma, she sits on my lap sometimes. But I still don’t understand why you would want to hug and kiss them.

I hug my girls because I love them. Family’s with smaller flocks tend to give each chicken there own individual attention. I never kiss my poultry though.

I do give my chickens their own individual attention
It’s just all of mine except for one (my Brahma) just don’t like getting touched....

If your chickens allow it and you want to, why not. I used to lay in the lot next door with a dozen chickens grazing around me. Some would climb on me. One of my hens and my rooster would "kiss" me (take pieces of cracked corn out of my lips) I thought it was fun and in close to 7 years of having chickens I have never had salmonella! :confused: Do what is best for you.

View attachment 1361126 My chickens will follow me everywhere but the only one that likes getting touched it’s my big Brahma, she sits on my lap sometimes. But I still don’t understand why you would want to hug and kiss them.
I guess I don’t really “hug” my girls per say. Just hold them often. But I know I’ve said this lots (sorry if it’s kinda annoying lol) but kissing a chicken is really just gross. It’s pretty much asking for you to be on your deathbed

Back
Top Bottom