Can I introduce a chick to a flock of 4 hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fushalilly, Jan 19, 2010.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I have four 22-week old hens (Wyandotte, Orpington, Australorp, Barred Rock).

In the spring, my feed store will be carrying chicks under 2 weeks old, generally they are RIR's.
    I would like to get one chick from that feed store and introduce it to my four hens, but I do not know how to go about that, as I have never done it. I know many problems can arise if introduced improperly. What is the proper way of doing this?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You really, really ought to wait til it is grown up to full adult size, like 16 wks or so. It can live adjacent to the hens til then, so they can see each other (that way it won't get so lonely) but if it's smaller than they are when introduced, there is a pretty large chance for things to go badly wrong. Remember chickens are descended basically from dinosaurs [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I wouldn't do it either, you should get more than one chick and wait until they get a little more size to them before to introduce them to the hens, besides, young chicks have to have a heat lamp for the first few weeks, and the older hens would most likly kill the chick.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I tried it once, from experience, yes, it is better to wait. My full sized hens almost pecked it to death
    It was like instant cannibalism

5. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Honestly, Not a good idea.

6. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Okay, thanks everyone!!! Ill wait til shes grown before trying to introduce them.

7. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Baby chick will be very lonely and sad by herself, not to mention drive you nuts with very loud peeps because of her loneliness. 2 is much better. Good luck with your new baby(ies)!

8. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

9. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd get more than one chick. One would be lonely. I like to have at least three young ones. When they grow up and I add them to the flock, they have their own group to hang out with.

10. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Better yet, why not wait until one of your hens goes broody and then you can stick one or more chicks under her in the middle of the night and let HER be the guardian of the babies and have nature do a win/win for you. In this way, the newbies will integrate quite nicely with the current flock and you won't have to do the work of a momma hen.

I've tried it.... nothing is more protective than a henmom!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by