Can I introduce new layers to flock that has mothers with chicks??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shannara200, Sep 3, 2013.

1. shannara200

shannara200 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Hello Everyone, I wanted to ask the question about introducing new layers to a flock that has mothers and chicks.

With a great amount of help from my father I expanded the run area of my coop so I can get more egg laying hens. Right now the run is done and I am to the point where I can get new egg laying hens but at this time I have two Rhode Island Reds each with a chick that is just a few weeks old.

Flock has three hens and Joe my rooster, what I wanted to do is get three new egg laying hens, would it be a problem to add the new hens now? or should I wait till the chicks are bigger.

Be advised the roosting part of the coop will be shared with all the chickens plus chicks.

Thank you for any advise :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If the mothers are still protecting the chicks and you have a lot of space, it could be done now. I think it would better to wait a bit. Quarantine the new birds, give them a couple more weeks introduction through a wire partition. That would make the chicks say around 12 weeks and able to look after themselves during the integration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by