Can I keep a cannibal hen?

I don't think the breeder sold me a bad bird...I actually picked her out of a large flock, and all of the chickens were running about, pecking, seeming perfectly healthy. Also, the chicken I have now is not a mean bird...I just wish I had known this could be a problem before it came to this. Before I bought the girls I read an introductory book about raising chickens, but it said nothing about the birds harming each other. Only after one of them died did I find out that I should have covered her broken feathers and had more than two birds. Now I feel guilty for putting the chicken in that situation. She attacked out of instinct, not spite, but now she's the "cannibal hen" and will have to be traded and probably killed. That's really the reason that I'd like to keep her, if this behavior can be changed; it's not her fault, it's mine.
sad.png

Chickens are drawn to red and blood like sharks. They morph from docile hens to feathered piranhas in a blink of an eye and can do serious damage to the target chicken in a very short period of time.

Sorry you learned about the dark side of the chicken this way.
Hopefully you can get better replacements. If you end up with another hen with missing feathers spray some blue cote on the area and try to get a hen saddle for her.

Quote:
Yep.

Sigh

The reason the hen was picked to death was because of the blood. Not only are chickens attracted to the color red and shiny things (like blood), the are also attracted to the smell. The likelihood of your hen being a cannibal is pretty slim. When you get other hens, use some sort of integration process of introduction before you throw them all together. Chickens will automatically fight for authority, so let them get to know each other first.

Yep.

Sigh

The reason the hen was picked to death was because of the blood. Not only are chickens attracted to the color red and shiny things (like blood), the are also attracted to the smell. The likelihood of your hen being a cannibal is pretty slim. When you get other hens, use some sort of integration process of introduction before you throw them all together. Chickens will automatically fight for authority, so let them get to know each other first.

So you're saying I can keep her if the new chickens are in good shape? I will make sure they don't have broken feathers or injuries this time. Really, this is the answer I want to hear, although at this point I'm pretty resigned to taking her back.
sad.png

Well, tomorrow is the day. I guess I have to take her back.... I will be sorry to see her go. She is actually a very good layer; she's been making an egg a day consistently. However, I can't take the risk of her harming the new chickens. I have decided to get three, to make sure no one chicken is getting all of the harassment from the dominant hen. Just need to add a little space to the run to accommodate them. This whole experience has been pretty tough, but I won't give up. I guess you live and learn.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom