Can I keep a couple ducks with my chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dchicken207, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dchicken207

Dchicken207 Chirping

Jun 15, 2011
    Maine
    I was looking at getting maybe 2 khakis. wil they be ok to keep with my chickens?

2. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Songster

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    I have 10 assorted ducks that romp, play, free range and go nite nite all together. This is year 3.

They do make a racket together when I let them out in the am. It's fun.

3. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I have chickens and ducks together and they get along fine. I do have to keep the rooster and drake seperated though. Since I don't want any baby chicks I keep the rooster penned during the day and let him out at night. I'm trying to rehome the rooster.

4. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Songster

Apr 17, 2011
    I have ducks in with my chickens too, but I think it really depends on the personalities of them all. Also, the fact that ducks are REALLY messy, and chickens arent.

5. Lots of waterers/kiddie pools/ etc. That way the chickens never run out of water because the ducks have used it all up during playtime.

I've heard of male ducks trying to mate with the chicken hens -- don't know if that happens all the time. Haven't seen it with mine, but it isn't breeding season.

The personalities of the ducks/chickens are important too. I had a barred rock hen that took no nonsense from anyone -- she was the boss till the geese grew up. She had even our big Pekin drake in order. But most of the rest of the chickens leave the ducks alone - or get chased away by the ducks. It would depend on how much space you had too . . . if there is enough space I think it would work out okay. We have a raised coop on a trailer and the ducks sleep under the coop, or under the trees and the chickens sleep in the coop -- works out pretty well that way.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by