Can I keep chickens in my backyard in tucson, az?

all you have to do is call your zoning office! those people are usually super nice. You can find the phone number simply by typing "zoning office tuscon" into google. Id say that would be the best way to go because then you have actually talked to someone with the city who knows for sure what the laws are.
good luck!

Thanks for all the great advice. One of the chicks did die after 4 days, but the rest are doing just great. I was wondering about the poop on their butts, will take care of that right away.

I live in Pima County but not in the city. I did the Pima County Parcel Search for my address and I to had 0131 SFR Grade, but I could not tell from this if I was CR-1, Cr-2 or CR-3 so I called the Pima County Zoning Department @ (520) 740-6490 and talked to Rick. He checked on my zoning while commenting the 0131 SFR Grade is not the zoning. Turns out I am CR-1 so this is what I found in Municode;
http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16119&stateId=3&stateName=Arizona

18.21.010 - Permitted uses.
hyperlink.png

A.Uses permitted:
1.All uses as permitted in Section 18.09.020A (General Residential and Rural Zoning Provisions);
2.Temporary trailer or manufactured home: In accordance with Section 18.17.020A2 (SR Suburban Ranch Zone);
3.Agriculture or horticulture:
a.Used only for the purpose of propagation and culture and not for retail sales, including any number of poultry, rabbits, and similar small animals,
b.On lots of not less than thirty-six thousand square feet not more than one head of cattle, horses, sheep, goats, or other similar animals more than six months of age per ten thousand square feet of lot area, excluding swine;
18.21.020 - Conditional uses.
hyperlink.png

A. Uses conditionally permitted:
1.Club or lodge: In accordance with Section 18.17.030C2 (SR Suburban Ranch Zone);
2.Raising of ratites in accordance with Type 1 procedure subject to the following restrictions and requirements:
a.Minimum lot area: One acre
b.No more than one ostrich over fourteen months of age for each ten thousand square feet of site area, or more than one emu or other ratite over fourteen months of age for each five thousand square feet of site area, or if more than one type of ratite is kept, a prorated combination of the area required for each animal. Two ratites six to fourteen months of age may be substituted for each ratite over fourteen months of age,
c.Maximum lot coverage by ratite corrals and shelter structures within corrals: Thirty percent,
d.Animals shall be confined within minimum six-foot-high, stock-tight corrals. No material shall be permitted that is not ordinarily used for a stock-tight fence. Ostrich corrals shall be surrounded by a minimum six-foot-high, stock-tight fence or other restraint of sufficient strength and durability to prevent ratites from roaming at large as provided in Section 18.07.030B,
e.Minimum setbacks for ratite corrals and shelter structures within corrals: Thirty feet from the front property line and ten feet from side and rear property lines; but in no event shall a corral or shelter within a corral be closer than thirty feet to any residence or living quarters on an abutting property;
3.Community stable: In accordance with Section 18.17.030C4 (SR Suburban Ranch Zone).
4.Animal Rescue and Sanctuary Facility:
a.Type I procedure.
b.Subject to Section 18.09.020(N).
18.21.040 - Development standards—Accessory buildings and accessory structures.
hyperlink.png

A.Permitted coverage: Fifteen hundred square feet, or seventy percent of the area of the largest main building on the lot, whichever is greater.
B.Maximum height: Twenty-four feet.
C.Minimum distance standards:
1.To front lot line: Sixty feet;
2.To side and rear lot lines:
a.Four feet if building is not used for poultry or animals,
b.Fifty feet if building is used for poultry or animals,
c.All horses, cattle, sheep, goats, or other similar animals must be confined within a stock-tight fence (no material shall be permitted not ordinarily used for a stock-tight fence) in an area of no less than four hundred square feet per animal. Such fenced-in area shall be set back ten feet from the rear where it abuts an IR, RH, GR-1, SR, SR-2, SH, CR-1, CR-2, or MU zone and forty feet from the rear where it abuts a zone other than GR-1, RH, IR, SR, SR-2, SH, CR-1, CR-2, or MU, and forty feet from a side property line. A setback of ten feet shall be permitted on the side yard where the adjacent property owners have a written recorded agreement to this effect, but, in no event, shall a corral be closer than fifty feet to any residence or living quarters in an abutting property.
(Ord. 2004-59 § 11, 2004; Ord. 1994-147 § 6, 1994; Ord. 1985-187 § 1 (part), 1985; Ord. 1985-82 (part), 1985

Notice the set back requirements.
Minimum distance standards:To front lot line: Sixty feet; 2.To side and rear lot lines: a.Four feet if building is not used for poultry or animals, b.Fifty feet if building is used for poultry or animals,

Back
Top Bottom