Can i keep male ducks with chickens?

I can only comment on our 2 Pekin boys we had to separate from our Pekin females when they crippled on of the females mating with her. We thought "Well we could put them in with the chickens." Shouldn't be any problem then except there constant walking back and forth looking at the duck pen with that longing look in there eyes.
As it turned out though they began trying to mate with the chickens and injured one to her death.
We then put the boys in there own separate pen by themselves.
I wouldn't recommend it myself.....

David & Ann

My first two birds I raised were a black east indie drake and a black silkie hen. They were raised together from chicks. They got along well with each other, where one went the other one followed.

One day the Duck went for a swim, the hen followed
sad.png
.... The duck was so upset that to this day he won't go near water to swim.

I have 4 drakes that are housed with my chickens. No problems so far. They've been together for 10 months now. The drakes will bite at each other from time to time but they have never bothered the chickens. I have a turkey that will even clean my drakes feathers.

It just said that they will try to mate and that that would have negative effects. Thanks for the answers

We run all of our chickens, turkeys, DUCKS, geese guineas, and broilers together. Somtimes the chickens are mean to the muscovys but other than that we have never had a problem.

It is quite possible that it was just the nature of our boys or the Pekin breed that is prone to our problem. There might be other breeds of ducks that would not attempt to interbreed.

David

I have two pairs of ducks, blue swedish and khaki campbells. I have 13 chickens, including one silkie roo. They free range together in my fenced backyard with few issues. Sometimes the drakes find it necessary to be a little pushy with all the chickens. I've never seen any aggression between the drakes and my roo, George. But he's a little marshmallow anyway! Never have seen any issues with attempted mating between the species. They seem to have a good handle on who's what.

Depending on the drakes they can be very aggressive and if they take a fancy will mate the hens. They literally can mate a female to death. Drakes often have no finese and females can be left torn and bloody. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, not only for that but because ducks are far more messy than chickens like. Wet messy duck muck is a breeding ground for cocci and your chickens are likely to be susecptible to the illness.

We just had to separate our mallard drake from our chickens. After we dispatched his buddy Dash, Duddly changed from a less dominate personality to a very aggressive male wanting to fight with our head Roo, Trevor constantly. I broke up three fights between them this morning. That snakey head of Duddly's could get right under Trevor and once he had a hold of Trevors feathers he absolutly didn't let go. Poor Trevor lost a good amount of tail feathers.
Personally, I wouldn't risk it, not only for that but because ducks are far more messy than chickens like. Wet messy duck muck is a breeding ground for cocci and your chickens are likely to be susecptible to the illness.

You're right there MissPrissy. I've been concerned about this lately and that helped us with our decision on the fate of our two drakes.​

Back
Top Bottom