Can I keep muscovy ducks in the same coup and run as my chickens?

JenniferV2003

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
I have 10 assorted hens, an 8'x8' coup, and a run that is at least 50% bigger than the coup. Can I ad three ducks to the mix, or will they fight or get each other sick?

I have 10 assorted hens, an 8'x8' coup, and a run that is at least 50% bigger than the coup. Can I ad three ducks to the mix, or will they fight or get each other sick?

I doubt they would get each other sick but they'd probably fight. Chickens do not readily welcome newcomers. I have a flock of chickens now, but I want to add ducks and to do that I will have to give away my current hens and start a new flock. I will be getting the ducks first hopefully, I hear they are more friendly to newcomers.

They won't make each other sick but ducks are pretty messy(water, droppings) and chickens roost so that complicates things. Now 'scovies roost too just to be more complicated.

Can you section an area off? you also must be cautious with drakes and chickens, some will attempt to mate them causing harm or death.

My chickens run about where my scovies are but they don't live together, the chickens have no problem pecking at the ducks if they get what the consider to close but my ducks have enough to do with the rest of their friends so generally respect and mind the chickens, but that doesn't mean all will. I am forever keeping an eye, scovie drakes are BIG boys and could seriously harm a chicken if they chose too. I would never run bantams near them.

Last edited:
I have ducks and chickens together. No problems. The chickens stay up high on their roost and the ducks live on the ground. They do fight over food but it's nothing severe - not even feathers pulled. And in my case the ducks are at the top of the pecking order.

One recommendation - do not have food inside the coop. If you do you'll have to have water in there, too. A deep enough source for ducks to get their whole beaks in. And that will mean a wet mess. Keep the food and water outside. I do have a 2-liter bottle of water hanging inside with a poultry nipple. They all know how to use it but rarely do. It's just in case.

We've been keeping Red Sex Links and Khaki Campbells (all hens) together for together for about 2 years now without any major problems. Can't speak for other breeds.

Funny, that's the same mix I have - breeds and all. I just have one drake in the group, though. He has two ducks to keep him busy and so far he hasn't messed with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom