Can I keep my duckling warm by...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cherlyn, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    My just-hatched-today duckling is absolutely freaking out when I leave the room. I just have him - my chickens have not hatched yet and the quail are too small to brood with him. Safe to say my duckling has imprinted, I think. Question is... um... how to put it... may I put him in my bra to keep him warm, on occasion?

~Cherlyn

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sure, but I wouldn't go out in public! [​IMG]
    Can you find or do you have a feather duster that you can put in its brooder for company? It works.

3. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I don't see why not, just don't freak out when you get a poo in there, because it probably will happen. [​IMG] You don't want to scare her if you jump.

Like gritsar said a feather duster, stuffed animal, or even a really fluffy blacket or towel will help them feel safe when alone.

4. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Yes, and duckie poo is ESPECIALLY wet, ishy and stinky! But you'll have fun.

5. Elliemaeburt

Elliemaeburt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    I saw on here somewhere, they had a stuffed animal in the bator. Have you thought about getting on the lonely chick. Might help keep him warm too. I also saw on here where they have the little stuffed animals that will flap their little wings when they are touched. And they look like a real live baby chick.
    Good luck and let me know how it goes.

6. Elliemaeburt

Elliemaeburt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    Just read on here where someone took a feather duster and the chick quieted down. Maybe you can try that with the duckling. What kind of Duckling is it? Picture?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by