Can I keep one market sheep w/ my goats?

BeardedChick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
The Witness Protection Program
Could I buy a young market sheep (prolly a Churro whether) and keep it with my goats? I know sheep can't have copper - that's OK because I feed mineral in their grain. So would they otherwise be OK as companions or would I NEED another sheep?

I had lamb for the first time yesterday and am convinced I need to raise a lamb & send it to freezer camp.
smile.png

Yes, that would be fine. Home-raised lamb is the bestest ever!
They will need to be fed seperately. So that the sheep doesn't get the copper feed, and so that the sheep gains the right amount of weight, and I'm assuming that the goats and sheep are different body sizes, so you'll have to seperate and feed accordinglly.
We have 2 sheep heading to freezer camp, and possibly two more!

Quote:
I agree. I have sheep with goats and there is no problem at all, but be aware of their different dietary needs.

yep, separate the feeds as mentioned and you will be right.

Its worth mentioning that when I run my sheep and goats together, the goats get quite nasty towards the sheep, and they tend to stay well away from each other. When I have had just one sheep in with the goats, it gets the crap beaten out of it, basically, and makes for one lonely sheep.

So if that doesnt bother you, then it would be okay to just have one. But, you might want to consider getting two.

Back
Top Bottom