Can I keep them all together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jen4, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I'm giong to order my chicks this spring and was wondering can I keep them all together or do you have to seperate different kinds from each other. I was thinking about ordering some Rhode Island Reds , Jersey Giants, buff orpingtons, easter eggs, ameracauas and idk what else. Also when we build the coop can they all be together or shoud we have more than one coop? Boy I've got alot to learn, lol

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Jen, you can keep them all together. If you wind up with too many roos for the number of hens you'll have to decide what to do about them. You'll need at least 4 sq. feet of coop space for each chicken, so keep that in mind when ordering your chicks. I say at least because the jersey giants and the buff orps could do with even more space. Others will chime in and let you know if they have a particular breed on your list and whether or not they are prone to being bullies or being picked on. Crowded conditions would lead to fussing and pecking, as well as health problems.
    Welcome to BYC and ask all the silly questions ya want. We were all newbies once. [​IMG]

3. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks [​IMG] I've been reading tons of stuff on here, need to go to bed but cant get away...lol

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Just make sure you keep your roo/hen ratio in the proper range. Lots of people suggest only 1 roo per 10 hens. You might be able to get away with 2 roos per 10 hens if they are raised together.
    Good Luck...and * warning * this chicken stuff is addicting!
    ~Rebecca

5. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    roo/hen ratio

Thanks...my Uncle is going to get us 20 hens and 3 roos. So what happens when your hens start hatching eggs and you end up with a bunch of roos? Can they all be in their own coop together?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by