Can I let mommy hen raise the kids instead of raised in the brooder

Oh yeah, didn’t think that they wouldn’t be laying during that time... you can tell I don’t often have broody hens. :oops:

I just had remembered that when I was asking about integrating chicks some people had said that I could just give the hens the chick feed and offer calcium carbonate on the side... oops!
I have 2 silky hens and they are broody every week. All my friends who own chickens dont believe me because their breeds dont go broody and yet here are mine who are practically always on eggs

How old are the chicks?

Are you thinking of grafting them onto a hen or is this research for your next hatch?

Chicks need to be very young at most I'd say day old. Once they get used to light being their hear source they're unlikely to take to the mama. I've tried it's difficult. They don't tend to stay with her or act like normal babies that depend on their mom for protection.

If you've never given this hen chicks before, I suggest giving them to her at night and watching her closely Durning the first day.

Not all mama's are good mamas. Some kill their babies intentionally.

Card board and zip ties should work very well as a lower wall.

Mama can have baby feed. It's slightly higher protein than what the other adults get, but she's likely been eating less while brooding and could probably use a good boost.

She won't start laying again until she's done caring for the babies. Mine are usually finished around when the babies are 5 to 6 weeks, but some broodies care for them longer than that.

Glhf :D
So when the silkie chicks are 5-6 weeks and the mom stops caring for them, I let out the mama and the chicks and the rooster wont kill the chicks?

Really should have the hen integrate the chicks for you BEFORE she weans them, which can be anywhere from 3 weeks-ish to a few months (huge range). Otherwise you will need to handle integration as the hen will no longer care for the chicks.
Wait so your telling me I cant just have eggs hatch under the mama and she will take care of the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom