Can I let my broody sit for a week before getting her hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kate2008, Apr 4, 2017.

1. kate2008

kate2008 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2015
    Georgia
    I have a persistent broody so I want to finally let her have a try at some eggs. She started brooding yesterday (Monday) but I probably can't get any fertile eggs until next week. Is it reasonable to let her sit on dummy eggs for that long? Newbie here . . . .

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I do it a lot. When a hen goes broody I start to collect eggs for her to hatch. Sometimes that takes a few days, depending on which hens are laying and which eggs I want to hatch. My last one, the one that hatched Sunday night, took about a week to gather all the eggs I wanted. I put some under her and some more in an incubator planned to hatch at the same time. She’ll raise them all.

Before a hen even starts laying eggs she stores up extra fat. That extra fat is mostly what she lives on when broody, that way she doesn’t have to eat and drink a lot but can spend more time on the nest. She easily has enough to last four weeks or more. I don’t want a hen to go past five weeks on the nest as a broody, but four weeks doesn’t bother me at all. Besides, my test to see if a hen is broody enough is that she has to stay on the nest two consecutive nights before she has convinced me she deserves eggs.

[​IMG]
    Because people like photos I’ll first show you the incubator chicks that hatched Sunday night.

[​IMG]
    Then the broody hen after I gave her the chicks. The incubator chicks pretty much dove under her immediately but one that she hatched came out to say hello.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by