Can I let my young flock free range for small amounts of time?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GimmeCake, Jan 25, 2014.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    I have a flock with 6 pullets and a cockerel. I got 3 pullets Aug 30th and the rest Sept 9th, but I don't know exactly how long ago that was. Anyway, they're inside their coop right now with just a light bulb and a heat lamp. I'm working on getting their outside enclosure ready but it's very difficult (and to make matters worse all the cement I was using for the posts got wet in the rain so now I need to get more) and I'm not sure when I can get it done. Anyway, I'm wondering just how safe it is if I let them roam around outside for the first time for a short amount of time (< 60 min). I'm worried they may stray off. Any ideas? Due to where I live, I know that if they get lost and I can't find them before night they're dead.

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Chickens generally don't stray too far from their coop and usually come back on their own. Your rooster will help a lot in keeping the flock together and returning them safely. I think it would be fine if you let them out. If you only want them to free range for a little while, then let them out 1 or 2 hours before sunset and they will come back on their own, saving you the work of trying to herd chickens. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by