1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Can I Make Chick Food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by calientepocket, Oct 30, 2014.

1. calientepocket

calientepocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    PNW- Gemini Starship
    I was wondering if it is possible to make chick food out of the following:

-Spent Grain
    -Flax Seed
    -Quinoa
    -Carrot Peels
    -Spinach
    -Sunflower Seed
    -Hard Boiled Egg

mix it all up in blender and add grit. I'm not sure if this would have enough protein, but there is a decent amount of protein in Quinoa & Spinach. I also think flax seed has decent amount of protein.

thanks for any feedback!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You're right about flax and spinach having some protein but what amino acids are in them?
    Protein isn't a single thing but many disparate amino acids. Chickens are omnivorous and have more essential amino acids than humans have.
    Additionally, except for the flax, all those things are much lower in protein than what chicks need - including the eggs which are about 13% protein.
    Will those things you want to mix together contain all the vitamins, minerals, fats, energy and trace elements that chickens are known to need?
    My best advice is to provide a complete poultry ration until one knows enough about poultry nutrition to be able to provid what they need for optimal health with a home mix.
    However, I've run the numbers and can't make my own feed for less money than I can buy commercial feed.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Why would you??? Complete balanced feeds are available for pennies per pound; buy one of them and have healthy chicks! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by