1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I make my own poultry spice?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rivers, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Rivers

Rivers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    I have some <5month old birds which are having rouble adjusting to a new home and lots of snow. Ive heard poultry spice is good for them in times of stress, like some sort of tonic that also helps them eat more?

I looked at the ingredients, and other than the mystery mineral mix I have abundant amounts of the spices at home. Would it help if I added some to their feed?

Ingredient(s):

Minerals, Micronised Wheat, Powdered Ginger, Turmeric, Fenugreek and Aniseed.​

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have never heard this, it just seems a little ( out there ) to be honest, I think I would want to know why it helps and what exactly the thought behind it is. Sounds like a waste to me. What are your birds stressing over or what is it that you think is stress ??. If it is stress as you think, I would just add a vita pack or supplement to their water for a day or so and that will do wonders.

AL

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I use poultry spice, it's a good tonic. Never tried making my own though, I would be interested to hear how you get on with it.

4. sarjaysar

sarjaysar cosmic chicken

Jun 12, 2009
    Guernsey
    I use poultry spice - my hens go mad for it mixed in with warm porridge and they lay well even though its winter, my older hens are 4 years old now and with poultry spice mixed into porridge with scraped cuttle fish, they lay daily (i'm not in it to make money though [​IMG]). They still get their standard issue layers pellets, some greens and a few handfuls or mixed corn scattered around every other day.

As for making it, the poultry spice ingredients are noted as "minerals" (not sure which ones), Micronised Wheat, powdered ginger, tumeric, fenugreek and aniseed!

5% protein
    2% Oil
    1% fibre
    66% ASh
    24% Calcium
    1.25% Iron
    0.85% Potassium
    0.3% Magnesium

Although again it doesn't mention what the percentages are per gram, but it does note that one teaspoon to be given daily in usual wet or dry food for every 10 birds. Little bit more powder in the cold weather!

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    In small amounts, it wouldn't hurt them at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by