Can I mix chickens and ducks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Evil_Edna, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Evil_Edna

Evil_Edna New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Sorry if this is the wrong bit of the forum but I'm hoping to raise either chickens and/or ducks and wondered if it were possible to raise them together? I'm thinking they could have a larger run that way (though, while home, I hope to give them free run of my yard) or is there a risk of bullying or disease?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, you can mix them. I have both chickens and ducks that are together. No real problems though.

3. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    I don't have any problems but mine free range all day/everyday.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Mine are fine so far, the ducks are much larger then the chickens.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine are all together and do fine. The ducks run together and the chickens run together. Like high school kids.

6. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    yup...and I've not only chickens and ducks together but one lone turkey who puffs up and acts like he's a stud to the lady hens. He's so funny.

I've had a duck chase a hen to try to mate but the hen usually outruns the duck or hides out somewhere until the duck forgets. But really nothing that they can't handle on thier own.

7. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I had a Mallard pair and they mixed well for 8 months. However, we added two 8 week old pullets into the mix and they were smaller than the ducks. Everyone got a along fine and then one day we went out and the ducks had killed both of the pullets. We previously had a day old chick go missing from our broody hen one day too, but just thought it go out. We also had caught the duck on a partially hatch chick and it was squished. We thought it was just an accident.

It seems that as long as the chickens were bigger than the ducks, then they got along fine. The ducks went to my uncle's farm when they are with other ducks, protected, and free range during the day. I still go to visit them, but the chickens are much happier now.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    You can but you may be sorry. I did it for about 10/12 years and am really happy to have gotten rid of the ducks. They require water 24/7 and spread it all over--in the winter this is a real problem especially inside a coop. Also they have to be "trained" to go inside at night, something they will not always do and you'll have predator losses as a result--I lost more ducks than chickens during the time I kept them. Finally, ducks prefer to go to water--ponds, lakes and streams--which can be stopping places for wild fowl--this can mean they may bring home some diseases or parasites that you do not want in your flock. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a large, enclosed area with easy access to unfrozen water. Otherwise there is no aggressive problems in keeping the two species together and they will eat the same food.

9. ky-chicken-farmer

ky-chicken-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    You can keep them together but the only problem is the water. Ducks get it everywhere. I use to keep them together but the ducks made a mess with the water and waterers. I now free range them together but keep the ducks in a run of their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by