Can I mix day old chicks with month old chicks?

If there is more than a two week difference, you shouldnt put them together.
jumpy.gif
/
jumpy.gif

I shouldn't add anymore chicks at all or I shouldn't add them right in the nest together? I read a couple of posts that say you can mix them when you give them the time and room they need to get used to one another. If they are close by, but divided by chicken wire so that they can see one another for a week or so and then try to integrate the younger ones in. What do you think? Have you done that before?

IMHO, In the beginning I tried putting day olds in with week olds, and the younger ones just get trampled every time something startles them. I wouldn't put the babies in with the older ones unless they're a week or two old, and able to fend for themselves.

I tried that and it didn't work. I have 3 week old ameraucanas, and had a week old maran. The ameraucana were keeping the baby from the food. So I divided the brooder, and got 2 silkies to put in with the baby. The 3 are best buddies now!!

Sonja

I love reading our posts! Some of my questions get very "cut and dry" answers that most everyone agrees with, other times though, there are as many suggustions as there are members on this site. It makes me feel good to know that I can sometimes do whatever I want and just use my best judgement and gut instincts. Thanks to both of you.

I think if you get chicks that are closer in age they will take to eachother ok. Last year we had 1, 2, and 3 week old chicks in together and they did fine. We got 9 chicks at the feed store, a week later my Ideal order came in, so we added them in the the bigger ones. No one seemed to mind. Then we got a 2nd order from Ideal because they had messed up my first order. We put everyone in together and they got along great.

This year we had 3 weekers who had only been with chicks their age. When we tried to put chicks that were under a week old in with them, and it didn't go well. It's a constant new learning curve with these guys!!

Sonja

Back
Top Bottom