Can I mix different age chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poupoule, Nov 5, 2009.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Hi all,

One of my hens had 3 chicks two weeks ago. They are so cute!!![​IMG] I partionned my coop and set up a little nursery in one side, where momma hen and her 3 babies are staying. The rest of the coop has a rooster, a silkie and a point of lay black hen (quite big). I am waiting for this one to start laying and then she will move to my "big breed coop".
    Now I have another hen sitting and the chicks are due to hatch by the end of this week end. Can I put her and her new to come chicks in the nursery with the other momma hen and her 3 two-weeks-old chicks? Or is it better to put her in the nursery alone? But then the momma and her 3 babies will be mixed with the rooster and his 2 wifes!
    This is my first time hatching babies (a lot easier than giving birth [​IMG]) and I wouldn't mind your advice. Thanks.
  2. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I wouldn't mix two mothers ever again. The one time I did that, the more passive mother and her babies were traumatized. Chicks alone, I can usually get away with mixing day olds to 2 weeks, but usually only if I have a staggered hatch with every age in between.
  3. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    So do you think the bantam hen and her 3 chicks will be allright with the rest of the coop? I suppose the hen will protect her chicks, won't she? And later, would I be able to mix them all once the momma hens forget about their chicks (I think it is when the chicks are about 6 weeks old?
  4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have heard that one mother hen will kill the other chicks that are not hers.
  5. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had 3 hens go broody this summer, at different times, and i just left them with group, mom takes care of them, and another hen helps the moms with the baby's, and the other chickens don't bother them, i haven't any issues all 3 times with other chickens hurting the baby's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by