1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can i mix vaccinated chicks with non vaccinated 1 yr olds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wildorchid053, Jan 23, 2010.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i keep seeing about marecks and don't know if i should order chicks that are vaccinated.. will it affect my other group when i mix them?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Personally, I don't believe it would affect them, but I don't know for sure. When we ordered chicks, we opted out of the vaccination.

3. Pampered Hen

Pampered Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    Mixing your vaccinated youngsters with non-vaccinated birds will have to affect on either group - if both groups are Mareks free...
    Looks like you have suspicion that one of your hens is affected. I would not introduce new chicks to your home/coop if you have infected birds as the disease spreads rampantly.
    According to an article, it takes about 10 days for the vaccination to take effect. By that time your new birds might have already contracted the disease...
    Here is a bit more on the issue: http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by