can i move her eggs?

evonne

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Las Vegas
hi...
just found my first eggs yesterday... my problem child decided to lay them in the middle of a pile of branches that we need to break down and get rid of...

i'm on first go-round with all of this.. and i've done pretty good so far...
but i know nothing about behaviors of hens with eggs...

yesterday there were 11 in the nest... i marked them so i would know which ones were new starting today.... and to see if she was turning them.... yesterday she set on them for about 10 minutes then went back to running the yard with her roo buddy....they're inseperable....

last night she slept on the fence with the rest of the hens and her roo

this morning she was running around the yard... when i got back from the walk to school she was setting in there again... not sure how long she stayed...

i went to toss out some treats and shes back roaming... i checked the nest, there's another egg.... and they've all been turned....

my question is, will all this going and not very muh setting mess up the eggs?? is she not finished laying the clutch??

and can i move her eggs and have her still go to them?? i would rather them be in the coop or under one of the trees in the yard... but if you guys say no that she wont set them if i move them i'll leave them there...
and how long should i wait for her to go into full broody mode if she's going to?? what's a normal clutch size for a leghorn?
i'm very lost with this and i'm a go with the flow person mostly so i'm okay with leaving them be, but i want to make sure they get taken care of and i'll put them in the incubator if i need to.... but i want to give her the chance first???

thoughts?? opinions?? stories?? random peanut gallery remarks?

Peanut Gallery Remark: I believe that Leghorns are the least likely broody chicken. I do not believe she will "set" them. They will just keep piling up, but I could be mistaken.

lol.. that's what i was thinking too... but my other girls are arcauna hybrids.. and i think i read they aren't prone to broody either??
i think my BR are too young to set them.. ? i might just let this set go and start collecting...

You might as well collect them...the instinct to brood has been bred out of most laying breeds, leghorns being numero uno for laying.

if there's 11 of them in there, some of them are over a week old.. we had temps over 100 last week... should i toss those eggs and start fridging them from here out?? or are those others safe.. to eat not incubate.. i don't have an incubator yet as i was planning to eat not grow.. lol..

Buy an incubator!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom