can I move my 5 1/2 week old chicks outside?

ELVISMUSTANG

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 17, 2012
they are getting big and my basement is starting to really smell bad!!
I have an empty 3 x 6 coop that I would like to move them into outside. I live in NY and the temps are 50s during the day and 40s at night. I am prepping them to move outside this Sunday (they will be 5 1/2 weeks old) by turning off the heat lamp yesterday. They seem to be all feathered. The breeds are one Black Copper Maran, 4 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Blue Orpington.
any suggestions??
does anyone know when I can tell male or female for these breed and what I should be looking for??

Last edited:
I moved mine out at 5 weeks... and it gets very cold here. So, you should be fine.

As for sexing them, I just go by whether or not their waddles and combs are pinking up. The males will have much more color in their waddles and combs. And the combs seem to be quite a bit larger by this age too....

Hope this helps :)

I go by starting at 95 degrees and dropping the temperature by five degrees each week. I am not sure if this is right, but it has worked for me. I am interested to hear what others have to say to see if I am wrong about this.

I have a small flock of 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 week old babies, and I live in Austin Texas. I had moved them into a 5 X 5 *baby* pen in the garage, with their 250 watt heat lamp, for a week, and this morning I determined that they were ready to move outside. I will give them their heat lamp at night, but temps are in the 70's here during the day and around 50-55 at night. From what I've read on the forum, temps which have been "suggested" for young chicks might be a bit too high. Mine are presently LOVING being outside, and it is 68 degrees right now. No huddling, no peeping, but there is a lot of grass grazing, dust bathing and running around like beasts.

I think yours will be fine :D

Back
Top Bottom