Can i move my chicks outside?

tdmopar67

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2020
Skippack, PA
Hi all! My coop is done being built and I'd like to move my chicks outside. They're now 6 weeks old and I feel like they'd enjoy the space.

I live in pa so it still gets a bit chilly at night so I was thinking about putting the light in the corner so they can stay warm if needed.

I've read a few articles they all seem a bit different. Some say to bring them out for a few hours a day before letting them sleep out there which would be a bit of a pain rounding up 8 chicks to and from each day. Others just let them in the coop without access to the run in the beginning.

I also read that people block the access to the nesting boxes at first? I guess until they lay?

I would like to get them out of the basement and into their new home but obviously I want to do it right.

We just got our day old chicks on Friday (5/29). Using the MHP (Momma Heating Pad) method. Kept them in to just keep an eye on them. They move to the outside brooder today at lunch. The timing seems right. We are expecting warm weather this week 50-80f. Two pictures attached. Inside cardboard brooder. Outside the run still has the winter plastic. The MHP will go to the brooder with them. This should be an upgrade for the chicks. YMMV

Attachments

• 20200602_084047.jpg
    20200602_084047.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200602_084219.jpg
    20200602_084219.jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 15
I am in Pa and I put my chicks out two weeks ago when they were 4 weeks old. I use the mother hen radiant heater. After 6 days of having to manually catch them during the day to put them in the coop for the night, they now go in on their own. It was very chilly Sunday and then spent the better part of the day inside on their own choice, but most nights they now roost instead of using the mother hen radient heater. Put 'em out, they should be fine. If it dips down below 40 consider an extra heat source to be safe, just make sure it's not too hot.

There really isn't a "right" way. You can ease them out by taking them out there during the day and increase the length of time, or you can just put them straight into the coop. My own approach is to put them in the coop without run access at first, to help home them to the coop, then you can let them out after a few days.

How chilly is it at night? At 6 weeks I'd say anything over 30 or so should be fine without you needing to supplement heat. I assume they're completely off heat indoors?

Nest boxes, you can block them or leave them unblocked. Each set up is different. I've never had issue with chicks sleeping in a nest box so never had to block them. If you do leave them unblocked and chicks sleep in there, yes then you should block them off.

At 6 weeks, they are hardly chicks anymore. They do not need a heat source! I wean mine from heat starting at 3 weeks, and move them out by 4.
Yes, block the nest boxes.

We just put ours out Sunday in OK. We put them in the coop and they immediately came put to explore their run. We put them in the coop and shit them in for the test of the day. We let them out yesterday after work and about dark we went to round them up and found them all sleeping in the coop! They caught on very quickly. I do have a small lamp that stays on for a few hours before going off but we will take it out soon.

3 weeks yesterday, into their coop last night. They are so much happier! I did not put any litter or bedding in nest boxes so they are not very inviting as of now, hopefully that prevents them from sleeping in there

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200602-202332_Ring.jpg
    Screenshot_20200602-202332_Ring.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Mine are 4 weeks, I moved them out yesterday to their just finished coop....here they are getting their first look at the great outdoors. I'll let them out in their run in a couple of days, (after we finish the run :p . )
looking out2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom