Can I move my ducks outside at 7 weeks old?

Shayrae4

Chirping
Feb 1, 2021
My ducks are 7 weeks old. They spend their days entirely outside and I bring them inside when it gets dark. I’ve been waiting for the low to get to 50 or for them to get fully feathered (which they’re close, but I’m not sure if they are officially fully feathered yet) before they sleep outside. It’s still getting into the low 40’s some nights. I am leaving town next week and my husband is staying and will take care of the ducks. I thought for sure they’d be outside 24/7 at this point but they’re not and I had promised my husband all he’d have to do is change their food and water. I feel it’s a lot to ask him to bring them in and put them out every day while I’m gone. Do you think I can put them outside over night now? They have a predator proof enclosure and house waiting for them. I’d like to do it at least a few days before I leave so I can monitor the transition.

and then another question I have is when they do spend the first night outside, do I just leave them out there and say good luck? Like should I do anything to acclimate them more?

I posted a screen shot of our 10 day highs and lows so you can see the temps. And of what my ducks look like now.

And before anyone suggests it, it’s not super feasible to put a heat lamp out there. I’d have to run an extension cord at least like 50 feet to an outlet. And I don’t even know if there’s any outlets on the outside of the house in that area.

Attachments

• 67C36ED8-A72B-435B-ADF6-24A89B09D300.png
    67C36ED8-A72B-435B-ADF6-24A89B09D300.png
    839.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 59413AA5-407A-40B7-85D0-3641092877D7.jpeg
    59413AA5-407A-40B7-85D0-3641092877D7.jpeg
    656.9 KB · Views: 53
They look pretty close to being fully feathered to me, their wing feathers are mostly covering the down on their backs. I would probably move them outside at this point, even just for my own sanity. I would give them a lot of bedding to burrow into, and they have each other to snuggle with.

I coddle my ducks, so if I would do it it is probably fine. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom