Can I move them to the coop now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by True Grit, Jun 24, 2010.

1. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I came home to count 4, not 5 almost 5 week old chicks in the brooder! I imagined all sorts of horrible things but found Big Bird standing on the rug behind a chair surrounded by poop and seeming grateful to see me. When I put her back in the brooder she got a little pecking from the group and ran straight to the feeder so I know she was probably out all day. Later Cleo was found wandering around outside the brooder as well. They will be 5 weeks old in 3 days. Here in Mpls it is about 80 during the day and high 50s to low 60s at night for the next 10 days. Their new coop is 4x4x4. If I put them out there with a heat lamp tonight should they be ok? I haven't had time to test the temp inside the new coop with a heat lamp on. With the size of the insulated coop and their 5 bodies and a heat lamp, will that be enough available warmth for them to comfortable?
    Thanks for your help! A nervous first-timer [​IMG]

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    how feathered out are they??? if they have the majority of their feathers, and can get with the rest of the chicks for warmth..I would say they are ready...what are you feeding the large ones??, will they all be eating together?

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

They are pretty well feathered except under their wings and a little on their heads. I only have the 5 that are almost 5 weeks old so they will be all eating together.

4. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    There shouldn't be a problem as long as they have a heat lamp that they can all get under. I have 8 three wk olds and 2 two wk olds that are in with 6 4 wk old Silkies. I have 2 heat lamps in a coop on my porch that is 6 x 6. They are all doing great and many times I see them laying on the outside of the light so it's not so warm. The Silkies don't even use the lights. Everyone is great.

I have always put mine out early and have never lost a chick. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think it makes for stronger chicks. They know what they need.

Good luck.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by