Can I Open It Safely??

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
I'm brand new at incubating ggs and just put a few into the incubator this morning. The temp is just where it is recommended it should be 95.5. However, I have no idea what the humidity level is, so I'm getting a hygrometer today. Is it okay to open the incubator to put in the hygrometer? Where should this go inside? I only have four little eggs in there and the thermometer is on top of them. I've read that people add sponges and things to help with the humidity level, so I assuming you can open the incubator once in a while for these reasons. Also, when candling you would be not only opening the incubator but removing/handling the eggs. So, none of this is going to harm the eggs??

Thanks for taking the time to read and for any help/advice you can give.
smile.png

You sure can open your bator...between now and day 18. After that, it's hands off. You should propsbly plan on calibrating your hygrometer before you put it in...takes about 12 hours and is as easy as pie. Google directions for this, or you can look near the bottom of my BYC page.

I have a question also relating to this.
For the humitity, I dont have a hymometer, and i dont believe i have the time to get one. Now, will filling the bottom up with water be good for now? and when lockdown comes, should i just put a sponge in there for lockdown?

I have 2 hens and collect my egg to put in the incubator about 5-7 days spread. Because of the spread.. I have no choice but open the incubator to remove earlier hatched chicks. They are hatching just fine. Just remember do it quit.

Back
Top Bottom