Can I Open It Safely??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PamB, Nov 6, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I'm brand new at incubating ggs and just put a few into the incubator this morning. The temp is just where it is recommended it should be 95.5. However, I have no idea what the humidity level is, so I'm getting a hygrometer today. Is it okay to open the incubator to put in the hygrometer? Where should this go inside? I only have four little eggs in there and the thermometer is on top of them. I've read that people add sponges and things to help with the humidity level, so I assuming you can open the incubator once in a while for these reasons. Also, when candling you would be not only opening the incubator but removing/handling the eggs. So, none of this is going to harm the eggs??

Thanks for taking the time to read and for any help/advice you can give. [​IMG]

2. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    Many people turn their eggs by hand 3 times a day so yes it will be safe. But I question the 95.5 temp I thought 99.5 is the recommened temp?

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    You sure can open your bator...between now and day 18. After that, it's hands off. You should propsbly plan on calibrating your hygrometer before you put it in...takes about 12 hours and is as easy as pie. Google directions for this, or you can look near the bottom of my BYC page.

4. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Yes, you are absolutely right! It is 99.5...That was a typo...sorry. Thanks for your answer! [​IMG]

5. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    I have a question also relating to this.
    For the humitity, I dont have a hymometer, and i dont believe i have the time to get one. Now, will filling the bottom up with water be good for now? and when lockdown comes, should i just put a sponge in there for lockdown?

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I have 2 hens and collect my egg to put in the incubator about 5-7 days spread. Because of the spread.. I have no choice but open the incubator to remove earlier hatched chicks. They are hatching just fine. Just remember do it quit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by