Can I put 2 broodies in the same cage? (To break them)

chickie22

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
New York
This is my first experience with a broody since I have only had chickens for a few months. I figured out one of my buff orpingtons was broody last night. I've been shooing her out of the nest about once every hour today. Now I think my 2nd buff is following suit.

I have a large dog crate they could both fit in. Should I tip it on it's side? The bottom wires are spaced largely apart. Normally it has a plastic tray.

Also, I can't fit it in my coop and I don't think I should leave them out in the run all night??

I don't think it would be a good idea to put them in the garage because I just discovered a mom and three babies squirrels running around in there this morning.

This day is not turning out how I had planned! Lol.

I just got through a broody hen situation. I didn't have a wire bottom cage either.

Someone told me to just keep her out of the coop. I closed the pop door for a couple days and either let the other hens in if I caught them trying to get to the nests or let them lay in the run. It only took a couple days for my broody to give up tho she took another week or more to start laying again.

I don't have space in the coop for a 16 sq ft pen
8-0 My broody breaker is only 3 sq ft.
But sure wouldn't put 2 in there.

I added 1x2 cage mesh to the bottom, fits tight so tray can still be used if needed.
upload_2018-6-3_7-49-56.png

Back
Top Bottom