Can I put 4-wk-old chicks out in coop? 35 degrees at night

eggspletive!

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
My three chicks are almost 4 weeks old. It's been getting down to 35 at night. Can I put them out in their coop with a red heat lamp? They do fine inside with the temp at about 70, but that's an awfully big jump in temperature. On the other hand, they're starting to go a little batty in their brooder and I'd really like to get them out of the house.

If you can keep the coop or a small area of it to temp. needed for their age - 75 to 80 for four week olds - and the coop is draft free, then yes.
Depending on the size of your coop, you might want to consider keeping them confined in a small portion of it, so that they can't wander too far from the heat lamp.
My chicks were in a draft free shed, confined to a brooder, from day one in April, average nighttime temps. in the 40s.

I put mine out from basement to coop in Michigan when they were 2 1/2 weeks old. They will be 5 weeks on Tuesday. They are doing just fine. I put 250 watt red light in coop for warmth. Some wait awhile longer/ But by 4 weeks they should do just fine in coop with a light for a few weeks.

My chicks turned 4 weeks old today :) I finished up the interior painting yesterday. Just waiting for it to dry and air out any paint fumes. I think I'm going to shoot for Friday afternoon to move them from their brooder inside my house to their new coop inside my barn. I weaned them from their 250W infrared heat lamp over the weekend. They are hanging out at room tempurature now which is around 70 degrees. I'm sure its a little warmer in their enclosed brooder. I left a 40W bulb on in the room to start adjusting them to more darkness at night. I think I better pick up a 125W infrared heat lamp to provide them some overnight heat as its dipping into the upper 40's/low 50's at night here now. There are no drafts in the coop but I think it would be too much of a shock to their system for such a dramatic change in temp. This is my first batch of chicks so I'm learning as I go!

Last edited:
I put mine out there and it has been just as cold. They are doing fine.

Give them enough space to get out of the heat or under it as needed.

Well, I put them out last night! The thermometer was reading 66 toward the edge of the light, which is quite a bit colder than they're used to, but every time I went out to check on them they were doing fine.

It was like a honky tonk out there when I went out to check on them in the middle of the night--chickens hopping all around in the glowing red light, eating and drinking and carousing. They seem really happy to have more space.

Back
Top Bottom