Can I put a peacock egg in with my chickens?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by jfinn57, Apr 18, 2016.

1. jfinn57

jfinn57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    My peacocks are laying eggs every now and but they're not sitting on them. Are these eggs fertilized? I want to buy an incubator to put them in but until then I just put one of the peacock eggs into one of my chicken coops and one of the chickens looks like they're taking it in as their own. I feel like that probably isn't the best idea long term but just wanted to see how it'd work out as a little experiment. Has anyone done this before and has it worked out/is it safe?
  2. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Thats how I incubate my pea eggs, under gamefowl. Soon as they hatch they are put into the brooder.

Gerald Barker
    1 person likes this.
  3. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Does this particular chicken have a history of successfully hatching eggs? I'd keep an eye on the situation so that if she abandons them (not just getting up for a meal, but actually ditches them) you can still move into the incubator... Unless you know she's good to go.

Hens are better than the best machine -- they are supremely well-designed for hatching eggs [​IMG] All we can do is a second-rate imitation at best.
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by