Can I put a pigeon in this coop?

Soph xo

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Australia
I'm getting four silkies to house in this coop, and I'd really like to get a homing pigeon as well. Could he live in this coop with the chickens? Sorry for my ignorance I'm still new to poultry
smile.png

http://alwaysdirect.com.au/weatherp...2.html?zenid=d5f53184467f9497ca90580a1972342b

That's the link ^

Thank you in advance
smile.png

I would say yes. But I would put perches up in the aviary part. So the pigeon can get up and away from the chickens and have its own space if needed. Also put perches up high in the coop so the pigeon has space of its own in there also.

Ok well lets see. I have never keep pigeons with chickens. But I do keep both birds.

Pigeons eat grains. For example mine eat: Milo, Wheat, Whole corn and for protein they eat pig feed pellets. I could see a pigeon living on chicken scratch. But I would think they would need more to be healthy. And there is no guarantee the pigeon could muscle in threw the chickens before the scratch is gone.

If I where you, I would put a small platform in the aviary part. You could throw feed up there that only the pigeon could get too. You could feed chicken scratch. But also feed a good form of protein like layer pellets or pig pellets 17% or higher in protein. And always have grit mixed in with the feed for the pigeon. You can buy premixed pigeon feeds if you want that will have all you need already in them.

Keep in mind I could be off on this. I have never done it. But from what I know about both birds this is what I would do.
big_smile.png

Wow, thanks so much!
big_smile.png

That's really helpful.
How many pigeons do you own?
I'm looking to get a homing male.
Do yours home?

Last edited:
i have a flock of silkies too and im planning on getting pigeons to live with them
pigeons and chickens spread diseases to each other so when i get my pigeons i think i will have a large bird house or small loft for the pigeons. both the pigeons and chickens will share the pen area but they wouldn't share the same coop to prevent diseases from wiping out the hole flock. also i think you should get the homing pigeon a female to live with so that he doesn't get lonely because they are very social. That coop looks great good for 4 silkies and a pigeon (he will be very happier because most pigeons live in those crates)
btw ive read that chickens will bully the pigeons if they live together but i dout silkies would do that

I would be concerned putting any pigeons in w/any chicken unless there is a place the pigeons can safely get away from them. otherwise the chickens will boss the pigeons around. I've had pigeons and chickens in same house but the pigeons had to have a decent size area to get away.

I'm concerned w/that structure for both. I'd suggest either/or unless you want 2 w/1 for chickens and 1 for pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom