Can I put a rabbit in my coop/run with the chickens?

RayinGa

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 16, 2011
I was wanting to get 1 rabbit and thought it would be a great idea to put it in the coop/run with the chickens. Has anyone ever tried this? If so did it work. I have 8 laying hens and 7 pullets about 8 weeks old now.

I have had rabbits in with mine for about a month and the world has not ended yet. Everyone is happy and healthy getting along fine. I put fresh greens in there for everyone about 2 times a day. They all love it. On the plus side I have put some pretty young chicks out and they actually cuddle with the rabbits to keep warm
smile.png

I don't recommend it. I had 2 neutered male bunnies. I didn't put them in my main coop because I didn't want their feet to get dirty (since the chicken run is bare ground). Instead I put them in my 10' x 10' kennels that were void of chickens & had grass. Rabbits chew on EVERYTHING and they dig. They seemed to be happy in the kennels, but soon their little dig holes become mud puddles. Plus, they chewed on the little houses I had in the kennels - they had rabbit chew blocks & pieces of apple wood but the houses must have been more convenient.

I did put one of my roos in with one of the bunnies for about a month. They got along just fine, until I caught the bunny chewing on the roos wing feathers. My roo (whose not the brightest) just stood there.

Depending on your chickens (they might attack the rabbit), I'd say for a sunny day out it would be fine. I would not do it long term.

My neices are now proud owners of the bunnies....

I have my bunny in his own little cage inside the chicken run. To let them get aquainted. The first day he was out there my Cochin Pepper yelled up a storm, Intruder Intruder!!!
rant.gif

Batty about Banties:

I'm sure they were mutt rabbits, but one looked like a french lop and the other one looked like a new zealand. They did not get along even though they were both neutered. When I had them they would fight & I ended up keeping them in seperate kennels. I do know that my neices ended up keeping them in the same cage and they got along just fine, maybe because that cage was new to both of them? I got the new zealand rabbit about a year before I got the lop and the new zealand would pick the fight with the lop.

We kept two rabbits in the coop/run with our chickens. The only problem was the digging. Within about a month one had tunneled nearly all the way under the fence.

Back
Top Bottom