Can I put an extra egg in the incubator today if I set them Nov 2nd?

ekemily

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Fairhope, AL
I put eggs in my incubator on the night of Nov 2nd. I just found an egg that I would love to put in there. Is it too late to add any more eggs to the batch?
I'm a first timer with a brand new Genesis 1588 with auto egg turner.
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, I think you are still in the right time frame. Since you need to put them in lock down on the 18th, or 3 days before hatch day, and the new egg is only 2 days later, you could technically add it today. The newest egg will hatch two days late, but the older eggs should be ok in the bator till the last one hatches. You will have to move them to an brooder right after the last guy hatches so they dont dehydrate or get hungry. Keep a close eye on them since the older chicks may peck the last hatcher.

The one you put in today could hatch a day early (ya never know) so it would e even closer in age to the others. I would NOT suggest adding any after today as the lockdown and hatch dates will just be tooo far away from each other to be safe.

So, what are you hatching?

Quote:
I agree. Mark it, so that if you have any that do not hatch (from the initial set), this one doesn't get thrown out as a "quitter". You should still be close enough to your start date, though. While the hens stop laying while broody, plenty of peeps have noted that some will incorporate new eggs (from others) into the nest. Thus, these didn't start with her on the same day, yet she waits to hatch them out.

What kind of eggs are we trying to hatch???
pop.gif

My roo is a cuckoo marans. I'm not exactly sure which of my hens it came from.... Either a buff rock, buff cochin, barred rock, EE who isn't laying blue, or another cuckoo marans. What do you think? I love speckled eggs and just want to give this one a try.
I don't know about the genetics behind speckled eggs. Is it a genetic trait? I dunno. I. just. like. this. egg.
Thanks for the info!

50621_speck.jpg

Pic of my eggs
50621_img_2880.jpg

That is a beauty! I read somewhere that the speckled-ness can be impacted by diet, but genetics must play a big role. Whatever the case, lovely egg and I hope it hatches a lovely speckled egg laying lady for you!

Quote:
Very pretty egg! I would want to incubate it too!! You should enter it into the Speckled Egg contest (if its still running), you could win!

Back
Top Bottom