Can i put day old chicks with a broody hen that already has 3 week old chicks?

janellelove

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 10, 2009
I have a mother hen with almost 3 week old chicks. I just hatched out a bunch of baby chicks from the incubator and i was wondering if i could put these new babies under momma chick too. Has anyone ever tried this?

Pretty much....no, you can't. Some rare extreme chronic broody mommas may possibly accept them, but most hens are going to see them as a threat to their babies and, if not outright attack them, not care for them.

Hi! I'm curious what happened? Will a broody of a 3 day old chick accept new chicks?

I have a three day old chick that hatched from a broody. I had four eggs hatch this morning in an incubator. I waited til tonight and slipped them under the broody. I'm hoping she will accept them!
fl.gif

I guess we'll see in the morning.

Hi! I'm curious what happened? Will a broody of a 3 day old chick accept new chicks?

I have a three day old chick that hatched from a broody. I had four eggs hatch this morning in an incubator. I waited til tonight and slipped them under the broody. I'm hoping she will accept them!
fl.gif

I guess we'll see in the morning.

soooooo?????

Sorry! I didn't know anyone was following!

I put them in with her around 9. Checked at 10, and they were all fast asleep, so I felt good leaving them in.

In the morning, I went out at 6 and they were all fast asleep. I went back out around 7:30 to check on them before I went to work, and one of the new babies came out from underneath to see what was going on... well, the mom cooed to it... when the baby wouldn't get under her, she gave it a soft little tap on the back, and then nudged it underneath her.

I took this as the OK that she would be fine as I went to work.

When I got home from work, I could tell that mama hen could have cared less that she didn't hatch these out, or that they came 3 days late! She treated them all like her little chicks.

So, of course, I put the two others that hatched even later under her as well! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom