Can I put incubator hatched baby with mama who stopped laying on her eggs after 4 hatched?

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
I have a hen and first time mama who, after hatching 4 babies (and losing 2 that didn’t make it out), stopped laying on the remaining seven eggs. We put them in the incubator “just in case”, and one just hatched! Can I put it with the mama and four siblings who are 3 & 5 days old? Thanks so much! The baby was just hatched today.

I have a hen and first time mama who, after hatching 4 babies (and losing 2 that didn’t make it out), stopped laying on the remaining seven eggs. We put them in the incubator “just in case”, and one just hatched! Can I put it with the mama and four siblings who are 3 & 5 days old? Thanks so much! The baby was just hatched today.
I remember one poster here who waited until his turkey hen went out for a drink and bite to eat. He took her eggs out (can't remember why), and replaced them with chicks. When she came back, she looked at the nest a bit confused, then settled right down on them.

You could try a similar trick on your hen. She may not notice the extra baby if she didn't see you put it in.

No🫤 Out of three babies that hatched, only one made it, but that one and the four she hatched are thriving. She pecked at the babies when I tried to put them with her, so I put them back in the brooder box. Thanks for asking!

Attachments

• 50C29820-0B26-43E4-9AC1-2AC1CD91159C.jpeg
    50C29820-0B26-43E4-9AC1-2AC1CD91159C.jpeg
    783.7 KB · Views: 4
No🫤 Out of three babies that hatched, only one made it, but that one and the four she hatched are thriving. She pecked at the babies when I tried to put them with her, so I put them back in the brooder box. Thanks for asking!
Some mommas just aren't that open to adoption unfortunately. Sorry it didn't work out. I've seen some people add extra chicks while mom was asleep, but it was while the other eggs were hatching.

Back
Top Bottom